If you ever want the ultimate dose of energy and excitement, sit for a few minutes with Nimish Patel. His infectious attitude will make you believe that anything is possible, including “closing that deal”. Nimish is the consummate deal-making lawyer. He hails from Gujarat, a region of India, where entrepreneurship is almost a religion, which would explain his pursuit of an MBA and CPA credential, a prized possession in India, along with his law degree. That combination has served him well in the practice of corporate securities, which is really more about the art of the deal than anything else.
Nimish is an advocate for his clients, especially those in fundraising mode, and has been known to orchestrate deals thought impossible by many. His mix of enthusiasm, thoughtfulness, and grasp for the technical nature of corporate securities law, makes him the perfect ambassador. No one is more passionate about advocating for the betterment of his clients and that comes across as a genuine interest in helping others.
That same passion for helping others was the impetus to him running and getting elected to the Board of the Santa Monica Malibu Unified School District in 2010. Diplomacy is a necessary ingredient when serving in public office and it’s a skill that translates nicely to his practice of law. Finding a way to get to “yes” for all parties involved is a nuance missed by many practitioners.
Mr. Patel serves as the firm's Vice Chairman and is based in the Los Angeles office. His primary focus is corporate and securities laws. He is well versed in drafting complex business transactional documents and securities offerings. Mr. Patel's experience includes mergers and acquisitions for private and public companies, angel and venture capital financing, IPOs, Secondary Offerings, cross border transactions and other financing and corporate restructurings. Mr. Patel currently advises early stage companies as well as publicly traded exchange listed companies on corporate governance and regulatory filing requirements with the Securities and Exchange Commission. He also focuses on CryptoAssets and Blockchain Technologies.
Mr. Patel represents clients in the following sectors and areas:
Technology, Internet and Mobile
Life Sciences and Biotech
Media and Publishing
- Represented LD Micro, a leading data and event company serving the small and micro-cap space, in its acquisition by SRAX, Inc. (NASDAQ: SRAX), a financial technology company that unlocks data and insights for publicly traded companies through Sequire, its SaaS platform.
- Represented Peninsula Acquisition Corporation in closing an alternative public offering with Transphorm, Inc., a pioneer in the development and manufacturing of high reliability-high performance gallium nitride (GaN) semiconductors for power conversion, allowing Transphorm to raise $21.5 million in a private placement financing in connection with a reverse merger.
- Represented Max-1 Acquisition Corporation in closing an alternative public offering with Exicure, Inc., a pioneer in developing three-dimensional Spherical Nucleic Acid (SNA™) constructs as gene regulatory and immunotherapeutic agents, allowing Exicure to raise $20 million in a private placement financing in connection with a reverse merger.
- Represented Odyssey Semiconductor Technologies, Inc. in closing a share exchange with Odyssey Semiconductor, Inc., a semiconductor device company developing high-voltage power switching components and systems based on Gallium Nitride (GaN) processing technology, to raise approximately $2.7 million in a private placement financing.
- Represented HyreCar, Inc., the carsharing marketplace for ridesharing and delivery, in its $12.6 million underwritten IPO.
- Represented GI Dynamics, Inc., a medical device company that is developing EndoBarrier® for patients with type 2 diabetes and obesity, in its offering of up to $10 million Series A Preferred Shares.
- Represented ClearSign Technologies Corporation, an emerging leader in industrial combustion and sensing technologies that improve energy, operational efficiency and safety while dramatically reducing emissions, in its $5.175 million underwritten public offering of common stock.
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Past President, South Asian Bar Association (SABA)
- Charter Member, The Indus Entrepreneur (TiE)
Other Career Experience
- Predecessor Firm, Richardson & Patel LLP
- Senior Auditor, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- February 19, 2021
- September 4, 2020
- Law.com (ALM Media Properties) , September 25, 2019
- June 28, 2019
- September 13, 2018
- June 29, 2018
- June 19, 2018
- March 28, 2018
- March 21, 2018
- March 13, 2018
- March 12, 2018
- March 8, 2018
- March 8, 2018
- February 27, 2018
- February 22, 2018
- MSK Client Max-1 Acquisition Corporation Completes Reverse Merger with Exicure, Inc. & Raises $20 MillionSeptember 28, 2017
- May 11, 2017
- November 10, 2016
- September 30, 2016
- September 12, 2016
- May 26, 2016
- May 13, 2016
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 1, 2015
- July 1, 2015
- October 2014
- Mitchell, Silberberg & Knupp* Vice Chairman Joins Board of Environmental Advocacy Group Heal the BayMarch 2014
- March 2014
- Accounting Today, May 30, 2018
- American Banker, March 21, 2018
- October 14, 2019
- March 25, 2019
Events & Speaking Engagements
- June 25, 2020
- December 9, 2019
- December 4, 2018
- June 14, 2018
- March 27, 2018
- Coming Changes From the SEC and How They Affect Investors and Issuers; What Companies Need to Know Before Doing a TransactionJune 5, 2017
- April 21, 2017
- December 6, 2016
- September 21, 2016
- August 25, 2016
- May 24, 2016
- February 23, 2016
- December 15, 2015
- September 11, 2015
- June 25, 2015
- corporate & business transactions
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1998
University of San Diego School of Business, M.B.A., 1998
University of Southern California, B.S. Accounting, 1991