As the godfather to the security industry, Lessing (Les) Gold has a reputation second to none. Beginning with forming what is now the California Alarm Association in 1958 and his early experiences in getting the most formidable player in the space, Protection One, off the ground established his reputation in an industry focused on protecting people. It’s ironic that Les has spent his entire career, spanning decades, doing just that . . . protecting people around the globe.
From companies and individuals across the United States to those in faraway places like Japan, China, and Western Europe, Les has been counted on as a trusted advisor. The relationships he’s developed extend well beyond anything of a typical lawyer. As someone sought out for counsel on a wide range of issues, Les has managed to engender loyalty that stands the test of time. Considered a senior statesman by many who know him, he has consistently delivered results for people close to him. And their appreciation is shown around his office with gifts considered priceless. Ranging from a miniature scroll that displays the history of China to the life size sheep sculptures, Les proudly displays memorabilia . . . each of them with a rich history he fondly shares.
His proudest keepsake, though, are the 5 posters hanging in his entryway from the Shakespeare Centre of Los Angeles. This remarkable organization helps underprivileged kids improve their scholastic performance through exposure to Shakespeare.
Corporate practice with an emphasis on shareholder disputes, mergers and acquisitions, representation of non-profit associations, representation before regulatory agencies, and contractual negotiations.
- Formation of several major security alarm and integration companies.
- Lead counsel in acquisition of one of the largest security alarm companies in the United States.
- Authored California alarm licensing law.
- Worked with many municipalities and states to develop licensing and standards.
- Served as counsel to many buyers and sellers in some of the largest and smallest acquisitions in the security-related industries.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of:
- Commercial Finance Law (2016-2018)
- Recipient of the George R. Lippert Memorial Award from the Security Industry Association for exemplary service to the security industry
- Inducted into the SSI Hall of Fame for distinguished industry service to the electronic security industry
- Recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award from the California Alarm Association for service to the security industry
- Southern California Super Lawyers (2004-2007)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Chair, MSK China Practice
- Co-Chair, MSK Homeland Security & Regulatory Practice
- General Counsel, California Alarm Association
- Chair, LAEDC World Trade Committee, World Trade Center of Los Angeles and Long Beach
- Board Member, Security Industry Association
- Board of Governors, Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation
- Board Member, State Capital Group
- Central Station Alarm Association
- USC Alumni Association
- Legion Lex
- Shakespeare Center of Los Angeles
- Founder, LA Music Center
- Metropolitan Opera Guild, New York
- Member of Advisory Board, UCLA Friends of English
- February 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- August 22, 2016
- August 2015
- June 2015
- June 4, 2015
- April 15, 2010
- February 17, 2010
- December 22, 2009
- April 21, 2009
- September 10, 2007
- Security Distributing & Marketing, April 2010
- Frequent contributor to trade magazines
- Authored treatise on residential security
- Contributing Legal Columnist, "Security & the Law," SDM magazine, a national trade publication for the security industry
- November 10, 2016
Events & Speaking Engagements
- March 13, 2018
- September 6, 2017
- September 14, 2016
- March 15, 2016
- October 28, 2015
- October 14, 2015
- May 24, 2010
- March 7, 2008
- June 20, 2007
- Frequent speaker at International Security Conference, Central Station Alarm Association, Security Industry Association, California Alarm Association, and other industry associations on mergers and acquisitions and legal liabilities
- California, 1957
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1973
University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D., 1956
Northwestern University, B.S., 1953