Fifteen hours in the air . . . 3 airplanes . . . 1 ferry ride . . . and a 5 hour drive laden with potholes the size of Texas is what it took to arrive in the most remote location Tony Amendola had ever visited. The desolate village of Guarai, Brazil was the destination for Tony’s first volunteer experience with Habitat for Humanity. Like many that came before him, he was overwhelmed by the experience, forever changed. A spur of the moment decision to join a friend on a volunteer vacation exposed him to the possibilities that exist in serving people and exploring the world in a way he never thought possible. That first experience, getting “off the grid” and giving back, has inspired many subsequent adventures around the globe.
Habitat for Humanity promotes giving others a “hand up,” not a “hand out.” The hard work and pride of parents overcoming significant hurdles to build homes, and better lives, for themselves and their children resonates with Tony, who was raised by remarkable, blind parents who themselves overcame countless obstacles placed in their paths. Building communities, learning about cultures, playing with children, these are the joys of lending a hand.
Seeing the ravages of HIV in Malawai, sewage-filled swamps in Cambodia, hospitals with no doctors in Tanzania, these are the sorrows. Tony has always been passionate about travel, and being a tourist is always a joy. But, nothing compares to becoming a part of a community, even if only for a few weeks. To this day, countless pictures of families he’s worked with adorn Tony’s office walls . . . always connected, always close, a part of him forever.
Representation of private sector and non-profit employers in all areas of labor and employment law, including:
- Advising employers on key human resource management issues, including personnel policies, payroll practices,leaves of absence, accommodating disabilities, terminations, executive employment agreements and other personnel actions.
- Counseling employers with respect to labor and employment law compliance in connection with workforce reductions, reorganizations, mergers and acquisitons.
- Conducting and advising on workplace investigations and compliance audits.
- Training in all areas of employment law, including preventing unlawful harassment and discrimination, administering leaves of absence, and managing within the law.
- Advising Entertainment Industry employers with respect to terms and conditions of industry-wide collective bargaining agreements with SAG-AFTRA, WGA, DGA, AFM, IATSE, and Basic Crafts Unions.
- Representing mutli-employer and jointly-administered Taft-Hartley trust funds.
- Serving as counsel to employers in collective bargaining negotiations, arbitrations, and proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Representing employers in administrative proceedings, investigations, and audits conducted by various state and federal agencies, such as the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Labor, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, U.S. Department of Labor, and California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
- Serving as counsel in single plaintiff, multi-plaintiff and class action lawsuits, including employment discrimination, wage and hour, harassment, wrongful termination, ERISA and breach of contract actions.
- Served as Vice President and Senior Employment Counsel for major entertainment company, providing daily advice and counsel on all aspects of employment, labor, wage and hour and employee benefits law for a wide array of businesses, including motion picture and television production, home entertainment, retail, broadcasting, animation, distribution, and licensing.
- Obtained summary judgments in favor of employers in numerous wrongful termination, harassment and discrimination actions.
- Successfully resolved numerous claims, including multi-party matters, through mediation.
- Conducted numerous investigations into alleged workplace misconduct, including discrimination, harassment, theft, embezzlement, misuse of funds and conflicts of interest.
- Successfully represented employers in numerous labor arbitrations.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of:
- Labor Law - Management (2012-2019)
- Employment Law - Individuals (2019)
- "Top 5% of lawyers in Southern California," Southern California Super Lawyers (2004-2014)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Editor, MSK Labor & Employment Alert
- Advisory Council, Community Clinic Association of Los Angeles (2005-2012)
- Habitat for Humanity, Global Village Program, Ulan Bator, Mongolia (2010); Molepolole, Botswana (2009); Phnom Phen, Cambodia (2007); Korogwe, Tanzania (2006); Lilongwe, Malawi (2004); Guarai, Brazil (2003)
- Co-host, Lambda Legal in the Desert Fundraiser (2006-2008)
- Management Chair, Los Angeles County Bar Association Entertainment Industry Labor and Employment Law Conference (1995)
- Co-Chair, Century City Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section (1993-1996)
- President, Southern California Cornell-ILR Alumni Association (1993-1996)
- Member, Board of Directors, WISE Senior Services (1991-1997)
- Member, Board of Governors, Theatre LA (1988-1994)
Other Career Experience
- Warner Bros. Entertainment, Vice President and Senior Employment Counsel, 1996-2003
- Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP, Partner (1995-1996; 2003-present); Associate (1987-1995)
- US House of Representatives, Subcommittee on Labor Management Relations, Extern (1986)
- National Labor Relations Board, Labor Management Relations Examiner, Region 4 (1983)
- August 15, 2018
- May 1, 2018
- September 27, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- August 22, 2016
- May 6, 2016
- August 2015
- November 21, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2015 Recognizes 21 Attorneys from Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp and Names 2 Attorneys “Lawyer of the Year”August 2014
- January 2014
- August 15, 2013
- January 2013
- August 24, 2012
- January 23, 2012
- August 31, 2011
- January 25, 2011
- January 26, 2010
- October 6, 2009
- January 30, 2009
- January 30, 2008
- June 9, 2003
- Social Media Case Fails to Draw Clear LinesDaily Journal, June 11, 2015
- California Law is Cause for Caution Among Client EmployersLaw 360, November 11, 2014
- Author of numerous articles appearing in such publications as California Lawyer, Los Angeles Lawyer, California Labor Letter and Los Angeles Business Journal
- October 8, 2018
- California Supreme Court Adopts "ABC" Test as Standard to Determine Independent Contractor Status Under the Wage OrdersMay 7, 2018
- October 16, 2017
- October 13, 2017
- May 25, 2017
- May 22, 2017
- January 11, 2017
- October 11, 2016
- May 25, 2016
- January 12, 2016
- July 2015
- NLRB Reverses Course and Creates Presumptive Right for Employees to Use Employers' Email Systems for Union OrganizingDecember 2014
- Co-author, "New Law Makes It Easier to Pursue Claims Against Employers that Use Contracted or Leased Employees"November 2014
- August 2014
- January 2013
- January 2013
- January 2013
- January 10, 2013
- October 2012
Events & Speaking Engagements
- January 9, 2019
- January 17, 2018
- January 11, 2018
- Can I Quote You? - The Impact of California's and New York City's Salary Inquiry Bans on Talent DealsNovember 6, 2017
- May 16, 2017
- March 30, 2017
- January 17, 2017
- January 11, 2017
- April 2016
- January 2016
- MSK's 2015 Annual Labor & Employment Law UpdateJanuary 2015
- The Rights of LGBT Employees in the Workplace, American Bar Association, Section of Labor and Employment Law 8th Annual Labor and Employment Law ConferenceNovember 2014
- MSK's Annual Labor & Employment Law UpdateJanuary 2014
- When Worlds Collide: Workers' Compensation and Employment Law, Los Angeles County Bar Association 33rd Annual Labor & Employment Law SymposiumMarch 27, 2013
- MSK's Annual Labor & Employment Law UpdateJanuary 2013
- May 3, 2012
- MSK's Annual Labor & Employment Law UpdateJanuary 2012
- A Divided North America: Comparing LGBT Rights in the U.S. and Canada, 2011 American Bar Association Annual MeetingAugust 2011
- MSK's Annual Labor & Employment Law UpdateJanuary 2011
- MSK's Annual Labor & Employment Law UpdateJanuary 2010
- Reacting to the Changing American Workforce and Workplace, Lifestyle Behaviors and Relationships, Georgetown Corporate Counsel InstituteMarch 2009
- January 2009
- MSK's Annual Labor & Employment Law UpdateJanuary 2009
- Expanding Concepts of Discrimination: Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sex Stereotyping, Gender Non-Conformity and Transgender Claims, American Bar Association, Section of Labor and Employment Law, Labor and Employment Law ConferenceSeptember 2008
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California
Stanford Law School, J.D., 1987
Cornell University, B.S., Industrial and Labor Relations, 1984