- Copyright, trademark, unfair competition, entertainment, and general business litigation in state and federal courts, courts of appeal, and in numerous arbitration tribunals.
- Extensive experience representing clients in right of publicity, right of privacy, First Amendment and misappropriation claims.
- Extensive jury and bench trial, arbitration, and mediation experience.
- As co-lead counsel for the defense, obtained judgment as a matter of law, following jury trial, on behalf of all Defendants, dismissing Plaintiff’s copyright infringement claim that Jay Z and Timbaland’s song “Big Pimpin’” infringed his alleged copyright in an Egyptian composition.
- Represented Norwich Union, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, in connection with a fraudulent insurance claim, initially brought and tried in Gibraltar and ultimately confirmed and enforce after trial in California. Won a multi-million dollar verdict after trial against the claimant and its counsel.
- Successfully confirmed, at arbitration, a movie studio’s rights in a top grossing film franchise.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar judgement against a satellite broadcasting system on behalf of an international television network.
- Represented one of the largest internet entertainment content providers in all aspects of trademark, copyright, First Amendment, right of publicity and litigation matters.
- Obtained summary judgement on behalf of Activision Blizzard against Axl Rose’s tort and contract claims concerning Guitar Hero III.
- Prevailed in anti-SLAPP motion on behalf of Take2 Interactive and Rockstar Games against right of publicity claim and claims of fraud and misappropriation of likeness regarding the lead character in their hugely popular video game “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.”
- Generally represents film/TV production companies in a variety of disputes, including royalty disputes, licensee issues, copyright and trademark matters.
- Represents record companies in all types of litigation matters, including royalty disputes, copyright claims, related business disputes, and class actions.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in various right of publicity, right of privacy, and misappropriation matters, involving musicians, recording artists, athletes, actors and personalities.
- Obtained multi-million dollar verdict after trial for insurance company in international fraud case.
- Represented well-known television personality in dispute with management/production company, successfully terminating management contract.
- Successfully defended well known entrepreneurs and their companies from wrongful termination lawsuits.
- Successfully defended (after trial) major record company in dispute over ownership of sound recordings, rights of publicity, and credit issues.
- Achieved summary judgment for well-known musicians against claim for royalties and breach of contract.
- Successfully represented record companies/producers/songwriters in copyright dispute and “sampling” issues.
- Represents musical groups and their members in litigation over group names.
- Prevailed at numerous arbitrations for international film distributors in disputes over foreign distribution rights.
- Represented several law firms in successful defense of malpractice claims.
- Successfully represented musical group in contract claim by former manager.
Honors & Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Southern California Super Lawyers (2005)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- December 8, 2017
- March 1, 2017
- February 18, 2016
- February 2, 2016
- October 21, 2015
- July 2014
- December 7, 2008
Events & Speaking Engagements
- October 17, 2008
- California, 1987
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California, 1987
- Southern District of California, 1987
University of California Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1987
Binghamton University, State University of New York, B.A., 1984; with Honors