Marissa B. Lewis is a partner in Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp’s Entertainment & IP Litigation Practice Group. Marissa represents clients across various industries in connection with intellectual property and commercial disputes, with a focus on copyright, trademark, unfair competition, and right of publicity actions in federal and state court, and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She also has extensive experience in trademark clearance, prosecution, and enforcement as well as complex copyright registration matters.
- Representing recording artist and others in a joint authorship and copyright dispute.
- Representing a major sports league and team in a trademark dispute before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Representing a leading online travel agency in a trademark infringement litigation.
- Obtained judgment on the pleadings in a trademark dispute by proving the plaintiff’s trademarks are generic, resulting in cancellation of the plaintiff’s incontestable trademark registrations.
- Obtained dismissal of idea submission and misappropriation claims relating to sports app.
- Obtained dismissal of multiple copyright infringement claims asserted against media companies.*
- Procured a ruling denying registration of confusingly similar trademarks on behalf of top-selling card game company, following trial and a hearing before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.*
- Obtained a favorable settlement for one of the largest image libraries and a contributing photographer in a proposed class action litigation claiming misappropriation of name and likeness, unfair competition, and fraud.*
- Obtained favorable settlement of copyright infringement claim on behalf of retail clothing company on the eve of trial.*
- Obtained transfer of dozens of confusingly similar domain names to trademark owners via UDRP and URS mechanisms.*
*Denotes matters handled prior to joining MSK.
Honors & Awards
- “Ones to Watch, Litigation - Intellectual Property,” Best Lawyers in America, 2021- 2023
- “Rising Star, Intellectual Property Law,” Super Lawyers, 2018-2022
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- International Trademark Association (INTA): Member, Young Practitioners Committee (2022)
- Copyright Society of the USA (CSUSA)
- New York City Bar Association, Trademarks & Unfair Competition Committee
Other Career Experience
Associate, Cowan, DeBaets, Abrahams & Sheppard LLP (2013-2019)
- Business Wire , December 19, 2022
- September 29, 2022
- Law360, September 20, 2022
- Law360, August 8, 2022
- October 5, 2021
- August 19, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- April 15, 2020
- The Eleventh Circuit Rules in Favor of Floribama Shore Creators and Opines on the Future of the “Title-Versus-Title Exception” to the Rogers v. Grimaldi DefenseDecember 7, 2022
- Another COVID-19 Surprise: Important New Trademark and Copyright Legislation Buried In Spending and Relief PackageDecember 29, 2020
- A Jewel of an Opinion or Missing the Mark? Second Circuit Holds that Costco’s Use of “Tiffany” May Be DescriptiveAugust 20, 2020
- The USPTO Extends Certain Trademark Deadlines Amid COVID-19 DisruptionsApril 3, 2020
- Copyright Offices Announces Temporary Changes to Deposit Copy RequirementsApril 3, 2020
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Fordham Media and Entertainment Law Society's 8th Annual Media & Entertainment Law SymposiumJanuary 20, 2023
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude
Associate Editor, Cardozo Journal of Conflict Resolution
University of Maryland, B.A., 2009