Marissa B. Lewis is an associate in Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp’s Entertainment & IP Litigation Practice Group. Marissa represents clients across various industries in connection with intellectual property and commercial disputes, with a focus on copyright, trademark, unfair competition, and right of publicity actions in federal and state court, and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She also has extensive experience in trademark clearance, prosecution, and enforcement as well as complex copyright registration matters.
- Representing various parties in a litigation involving claims of copyright, trademark, and trade dress infringement over the design of sports team jerseys and merchandise.
- Representing a major sports league and team in a trademark opposition proceeding before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Representing a leading online travel agency in a trademark infringement litigation.
- Obtained dismissal of multiple copyright infringement claims asserted against media companies.*
- Procured a ruling denying registration of confusingly similar trademarks on behalf of top-selling card game company, following trial and a hearing before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.*
- Obtained a favorable settlement for one of the largest image libraries and a contributing photographer in a proposed class action litigation claiming misappropriation of name and likeness, unfair competition, and fraud.*
- Obtained favorable settlement of copyright infringement claim on behalf of retail clothing company on the eve of trial.*
- Obtained transfer of dozens of confusingly similar domain names to trademark owners via UDRP and URS mechanisms.*
*Denotes matters handled prior to joining MSK.
Honors & Awards
- “Rising Star, Intellectual Property Law,” Super Lawyers, 2018-2019
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Copyright Society of the USA (CSUSA)
- New York City Bar Association, Trademarks & Unfair Competition Committee
Other Career Experience
Associate, Cowan, DeBaets, Abrahams & Sheppard LLP (2013-2019)
- April 15, 2020
- The USPTO Extends Certain Trademark Deadlines Amid COVID-19 DisruptionsApril 3, 2020
- Copyright Offices Announces Temporary Changes to Deposit Copy RequirementsApril 3, 2020
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude
Associate Editor, Cardozo Journal of Conflict Resolution
University of Maryland, B.A., 2009