Commercial, business and real estate litigation; commercial and private real estate transactions; general representation of independent television studio providers; extensive jury and non-jury trials and appellate advocacy before NY State and Federal courts.
- Successfully tried a wide range of jury and non-jury cases involving commercial, real estate, product liability, construction, insurance and business torts.
- Successfully argued numerous appeals in reported cases in New York State and Federal courts.
- Represented one of New York’s largest independent television studio facility providers in the negotiation and sale of its television studio and post production businesses.
- Represented the owner/net lessor of three NYC buildings which house major television studios for nationally known television shows with live studio audiences in connection with complex commercial net leases.
- Represented numerous businesses in connection with substantial commercial lease deals.
- Represented numerous private investors, purchasers and sellers in connection with the negotiation, purchase and sale of super-luxury residential townhouses, condominiums, and cooperative apartments in New York City.
- Successfully obtained reversal of foreclosure judgment on behalf of major hotel operator in New York City in 2007.
- Successfully represented defendant in breach of fiduciary duty case in real estate partnership in New York in United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York which was affirmed on appeal by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Honors & Awards
- "Top 5% of lawyers in New York," New York Super Lawyers (2009-2012)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- MSK (NY office) Strategic Partner of Expansion
- Evidence Committee, New York State Bar Association, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section
Other Career Experience
- Founding and Managing Partner, Montclare & Wachtler, New York, NY (1982 – 2007)
- PhillyVoice, NBC Sports Philadelphia, ESPN, Philadelphia Business Journal, Law360, Bloomberg Law, USA Today, February 25, 2020
- October 28, 2019
- November 2015
- September 19, 2013
- November 1, 2012
- October 10, 2011
- October 1, 2010
- October 5, 2009
- March 10, 2008
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Frequent speaker, "Federal Practice and Procedure, Mediation and Arbitration and Construction Litigation," New York State Bar Association and CLE Courses
- New York
- U.S. District Court
- Eastern District of New York
- Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
New York Law School, J.D., 1974; cum laude
Editor-in-Chief, 1974, New York Law School Law Review; Recipient of the Faculty Award
New York University, B.A., 1971