Navigating the New Distribution Landscape
Orly Ravid will be speaking at Getting Real '16 on "Navigating the New Distribution Landscape."
Filmmakers have been hearing for years about DIY and Hybrid distribution, and it’s clear that the marketplace transformation is still actively, at times convulsively, evolving. Disruptors are everywhere. Case studies and numbers that we have looked at only a year ago in some cases can’t be replicated. Still, there are exciting new developments, new players, and new lessons to be learned from both experienced hands and first time filmmakers who have just emerged from the trenches.
Following three case studies led by distribution expert Jon Reiss, longtime indie distributor Susan Margolin will lead a probing panel discussion examining new developments in the distribution arena, spotlighting opportunities that filmmakers should be capitalizing upon, and identifying potential pitfalls to be on the alert for.
This session will explore such critical questions as:
- What’s working in theatrical, non-theatrical and semi-theatrical distribution?
- Is there money to be made in educational distribution?
- What are the trends in international distribution? How do I find an international distributor? Can I self distribute internationally?
- What is Cinema on Demand? How can I integrate it into my distribution plan?
- What are the latest developments in digital distribution? Is transactional VOD still pulling numbers? Should I use an aggregator or find a digital distributor that will help on the marketing and promotional front?
- Do I need a sales agent? Should I use the sales agent on a global basis? What do I do if I can’t secure a sales agent?