As a transactional associate in our nation’s entertainment capital, Orly Ravid’s 16-year career in film including acquisitions, sales, film festival programming, theatrical and festival distribution, and business affairs has enabled her to see past the preview to better help her clients. As an entertainment attorney in MSK’s Motion Picture, Television & Music Transactions Department and the founder of non-profit The Film Collaborative (TFC), Orly counseled and contributed to Sundance's Artist Services / Transparency Project and has spoken about distribution on panels and conferences at film schools and festivals including Sundance, UCLA, USC, IDFA, Cannes, SXSW, and LAFF/Film Independent. She has written numerous articles on distribution, some of which have debuted on Indiewire before appearing on TFC’s website. Orly is committed to helping artistically and intellectually rigorous and important films reach their respective audiences via financial models that are sustainable for filmmakers. Called a “big picture” thinker, Orly founded TFC in response to a dominant and overarching structure that favors middlemen over filmmakers. She is as passionate about protecting filmmakers’ rights and revenues as she is about quality filmmaking.
- Licensing of independent feature film including implementing sophisticated split rights strategies.
- Advise on overall distribution strategy for independent feature film.
- Negotiation and drafting distribution agreements of every type (theatrical, educational, home video, digital, broadcast)
- Draft and review option purchase agreements for television and motion picture properties.
- Draft co-production agreements.
- Due diligence of rights for film and television properties.
- Represent client in film production dispute.
- Represent clients in breach of contract matters.
- Representation of international sales agent / distributor; producers, directors, actors, authors, content creators.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Schumacher Scholarship (Full-Tuition)
- Published Member, Southwestern Law Review
- Recipient, CALI “Excellence for Future” Awards: Contracts & Legal Reasoning
- Recipient, WITKIN Award, Constitutional Law
- Amicus Brief Project, Selected to write pilot Amicus Brief accepted by Ninth Circuit and Lead author of Amicus Brief accepted by United States Supreme Court
- Biederman Institute (Entertainment) “Scholar”
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Advisory Board, We Do It Together, 2016 – Present
- Board of Directors, The Film Collaborative, 2009 – Present
- Named, Ted Hope’s “Brave Thinkers of Indie Film”
- Board of Directors, OUTFEST Los Angeles, 2002 – 2005
Other Career Experience
- Associate, Early Sullivan Wright Gizer & McRae
- Judicial Clerk /Research Attorney, Los Angeles Superior Court
- Judicial Extern, California Supreme Court
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Yvette Palazuelos
- Founder, President of the Board, Co-Executive Director, The Film Collaborative
- Vice President, Acquisitions and Distribution/Business Affairs, Senator Entertainment
- Director of Acquisitions, Business Affairs, and Digital Distribution, Wolfe Releasing
- Associate Programmer, Documentary, Sundance Film Festival
- January 12, 2017
- November 23, 2016
- August 31, 2016
- May 15, 2016
- Indiewire, July 9, 2015
- Sundance Institute Blog, August 9, 2011
Events & Speaking Engagements
- April 7, 2017
- March 18, 2017
- March 14, 2017
- March 12, 2017
- October 25, 2016
- September 29, 2016
- April 28, 2016
- March 13, 2016
- U.S. Federal Court
Southwestern Law School, J.D., 2014; Published Member, Southwestern Law Review
Columbia University, Barnard College, B.A., English Literature, 1993; Dean’s List