Music Licensing and Infringement: Use for legal and ethical Protection in the Digital Age
Aaron Wais and Joel Schoenfeld will be speaking on "Music Licensing and Infringement: Use for legal and ethical Protection in the Digital Age" at the 7th Annual IP Trademark, Copyright, and Licensing Counsel Forum, taking place November 3-4, 2015 at The University Club in NYC.
Topics covered will include:
- Performance licensing and mechanical licensing of (a) musical compositions and (b) masters for interactive and non-interactive services; ethical treatment of protected works, names and images
- Why the “Fair Use” argument will rarely substitute for a license;
- When are “synch” or synchronization licenses needed, where you obtain them and what forms they take;
- Understanding and navigating liability, including downstream liability, for alleged artist infringement and unethical use of their works
- Understanding and navigating liability issues arising from alleged infringement by third-parties (e.g., when is an affiliate your agent).