Art of the Deal
Eric German will be speaking on a panel titled "Art of the Deal" at A2IM Indie Week 2015 in New York.
This panel will explore the “in’s and out’s” of what’s involved with the basic structure of artist deals today, taken from the label’s perspective. Whether you are an established label or just starting out, this panel will give examples of what to expect in these types of negotiations – by letting you have a front row seat as two lawyers go at it in mock negotiations. Panelists will present various hypotheticals that will cover the gamut from specialty labels to those with broader rosters across genres, and will explain how these deals differ from those with the majors.
Topics covered will include:
- How long should these deals be in terms of time and product commitment;
- What the concerns are with artists in niche genres and what the labels need to commit to;
- The importance of synch rights and the economics behind them;
- What, if any, different income streams the label may participate in; and
- Various economic models to fit the context of the deals.