Litigation Update on the Music Front
Christine Lepera will be speaking at the NYSBA l Entertainment Arts & Sports Law Section's Annual Music Business and Law Conference on Friday, November 16, 2018.
The Music Business and Law Conference will feature a variety of speakers from law, finance, business, and technology, with several panels focusing on global perspectives of representation, tax, and practical concerns for music artists and businesses alike.
Panel highlights will include:
• Music Business Basics and Beyond
• Music Modernization Act (US) and International Developments
• Battle of the Band Members – Band Agreements and Breakups
• Empire Building – The DIY Way
• Blockchain and Music Contracts
• Broadway Music Licensing II
• Diversity in the Business World
• Litigation Update on the Music Front
"Litigation Update on the Music Front"
The last year has seen many exciting copyright and entertainment developments in the litigation arena. Five experienced panelists who have litigated extensively in the music industry will examine some of the high profile cases (e.g., the “Stairway to Heaven” case, the proceedings by the NMPA before the Copyright Royalty Board, etc.), both for their legal impact and to highlight the parties' litigation strategies. From infringement issues, developments in the "fair use" defense in music sampling cases, to the setting of industry-wide rates for music streaming, the panel will also look at the practical effects and implications of these cases and trends for the industry going forward.
- Paul LiCalsi, Esq., Robins Kaplan LLP (Moderator)
- Christine Lepera, Esq., Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP
- Benjamin Semel, Esq. Pryor Cashman LLP
- Helene M. Freeman, Esq., Phillips Nizer LLP
- Brian D. Caplan, Esq., Reitler, Kailas, Rosenblatt LLC