Tariff Turbulence Continues to Fly!
MSK Client Alert
June 13, 2019
Putting all the hyperbole and posturing to one side, the recent agreement between Mexico and the U.S. which averted the tariffs can be found in the U.S. - Mexico Joint Statement released June 7, 2019. It consists of a few broad policy statements:
- Mexico will deploy its National Guard throughout Mexico, giving priority to its southern border - meaning the border with Guatemala;
- Mexico will take "decisive" action to dismantle human smuggling and trafficking organizations and their illicit financial and transportation networks;
- The U.S. and Mexico will strengthen bilateral cooperation, including information sharing and coordinated actions to better "protect" and "secure" their common border;
- The U.S. will immediately expand the existing Migrant Protection Protocols so that those crossing into the U.S. to seek asylum will be "rapidly" returned to Mexico where they "may" await adjudication of their asylum claims;
- Mexico agrees to "authorize" the entrance of those individuals for humanitarian reasons, in compliance with its international obligations, while they await adjudication of their claims...