Celia Guzman defends private and public employers in single-plaintiff and PAGA representative actions, pre-litigation negotiations, agency claims, and arbitrations. She has experience representing clients before administrative agencies including the Department of Fair Employment & Housing (DFEH), Department of Labor, Labor Commissioner, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Celia regularly advises clients on policy and procedure development, employee handbooks, employee discharge and discipline, and wage & hour compliance, and advises businesses and state and local governmental agencies on disability access laws with respect to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Unruh Act, the California Disabled Persons Act, Health & Safety Code sections 19955 et seq., the Fair Housing Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG) and the California Access Compliance Building Regulations (Title 24).
Honors & Awards
- Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Legal Services Award, California Lawyers Association (2021)
Other Career Experience
- Associate Attorney, Hanson Bridgett LLP
- Law Clerk, Hanson Bridgett LLP
- Extern for Judge Jeffrey S. White, United States District Court, Northern District of California
- November 4, 2022
- California Employers Prohibited from Taking Adverse Action Against Employees during “Emergency Conditions”October 17, 2022
- September 6, 2022
Events & Speaking Engagements
- January 11, 2023
- J.D., Social Justice Concentration, University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- B.A., California State University, Long Beach