Drive two miles southwest of Chicago’s beautiful Millennium Park and you’ll find yourself where it all started: a small fabric store on Roosevelt Road, where Dima’s passion for fashion design began to take shape. It was here where Dima discovered her love for designing clothing and embarked on her journey as a protector of creativity.
Dima’s love for fashion and finding interesting and unique fabrics was developed through her early college years. She designed women’s clothing and later found her niche in making men’s ties and redesigning vintage apparel. But most importantly, it was through this first-hand experience that Dima discovered the importance of protecting the creative journey. With the investment in fabric and tools, not to mention time, it can be very expensive to turn creative imagination into something tangible. It’s a risky journey with no guarantee of a successful outcome. This is in part why Dima went to law school; she wanted to help protect creative ideas.
Dima’s practice is centered on helping clients attain adequate protection of their intellectual property and maximize the exploitation of their creations. In the end, Dima has stitched together a seamless understanding of how important it is to protect the creatives.
Dima S. Budron is an Associate in the Los Angeles office. She focuses her practice on intellectual property and transactional entertainment law, representing artists, production companies, networks, studios, trade associations, and talent and content creators. Dima has experience drafting, negotiating, and reviewing contracts dealing with various stages of content creation such as funding, development, production, licensing and distribution. She also provides legal analysis and counseling on copyright and trademark matters.
- Drafts, negotiates, and reviews music producer agreements, recording artist agreements, motion picture/TV talent agreements, life story rights agreements, book options, writer agreements, funding agreements, development agreements, production services agreements, season renewal agreements, and content licensing agreements for various clients.
- Assists clients in obtaining rights to use music in audiovisual and/or music productions.
- Provides clients with legal opinion on the use of titles for movies or television shows.
- Serves as counsel to International Intellectual Property Alliance (a coalition of five copyright-based industry trade associations – RIAA, MPAA, ESA, AAP, and IFTA – comprised of over 3,200 companies in the music, film, book publishing, and entertainment software industries) on international copyright protection and enforcement matters including drafting important government filings such as the annual Special 301 report and several of the United States Trade Representative’s Out-of-Cycle Reviews.
- Assist in administrative litigation before the Copyright Royalty Board regarding royalty distribution for cable re-transmissions, representing the copyright owners of syndicated series, movies, and specials broadcast.
- Assisted in counseling major studio client on theatrical and television rights upon review of documents surrounding prior film productions.
- Represented the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), and the Association of American Publishers (AAP) in the 2018 Copyright Office rule-making proceeding regarding proposed exemptions to an anti-circumvention provision of Section 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Member, Women’s Bar Association
Other Career Experience
- Student Attorney, WCL Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Clinic
- Summer Associate, Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP
- Legal Intern, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Law Clerk, U.S. Civilian Board of Contract Appeals
- District of Columbia
American University Washington College of Law, J.D., 2017; Order of the Coif, summa cum laude
DePaul University, M.A., Interdisciplinary Studies, 2013; with distinction
DePaul University, B.A., Psychology, 2008; cum laude