Albina Gasanbekova is an associate in the firm’s New York office and is a member of the international disputes and litigation groups. Albina represents private-sector and governmental clients involved in cross-border disputes, including international commercial arbitration and national court litigation and claims brought under multilateral and bilateral investment and trade treaties under public international law. Albina also has experience in a number of legal areas, including commercial contracts, treaties, and intellectual property defending clients against infringement allegations as well as protecting clients’ copyright and trademark rights. She is also a bilingual (Russian, English), dual-qualified in both common law and civil law, and can help clients orient and navigate in a wide variety of legal systems and jurisdictions.”
- Successfully represented surviving crew members and their immediate family members in a lawsuit against a foreign state brought under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act Terrorism Exception. This matter involves litigation and briefing of all aspects of the FSIA including obtaining jurisdiction over a sovereign state sponsor of terrorism.
- Member of litigation team representing a judgment creditor seeking to enforce international commercial arbitration awards against a foreign state.
- Member of litigation team representing real estate clients in breach of contract litigation.
- Member of litigation team representing media companies in copyright infringement actions.
- Member of litigation team representing the victims of a commercial airplane hijacking (June 1985) for compensation from Iran under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act Terrorism Exception.
- Represented a start-up company in a high-stakes commercial dispute brought under domestic arbitration rules.
- Member of litigation team that successfully won summary judgment on behalf an insurance company in software infringement action.
Honors & Awards
- Exceptional Pro Bono Pledge Honoree (Georgetown University Law Center, May 2015)
- "Rising Star," New York Super Lawyers (2019-2020)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- ITA in Review | Editorial Board
- Global Arbitration Review - Investment Treaty Arbitration Know-how, December 9, 2020
- How the Five Nations Agreed to Divide Up the SeaABA Section of International Law's Eurasia/Russia Committee Newsletter, Fall 2018
- New Hampshire Bar News , July 19, 2017
- New York
- U.S. District Court
- District of Columbia
- Southern District of New York
Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2015, with Distinction, Dean’s List
Russian State University of Justice, Degree in Law (J.D. Equivalent), 2010