ATTORNEY OPENINGS - LOS ANGELES
attorney openings - NEW YORK
attorney openings - Washington, dc
STAFF OPPORTUNITIES - LOS ANGELES
Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp, a mid-sized law firm on the west side of Los Angeles, seeks an experienced Assistant Controller to assist in managing Accounting Department. The ideal candidate must have extensive knowledge and experience with all aspects of the operational and financial issues associated with cash management, client billing, accounts payable, payroll processing, general ledger management and preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Calculate, post, and verify financial data for use in the maintenance of the general ledger and accounting and statistical records. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring daily cash flows, preparing cash projections, revenue & expense review, preparation of balance sheet schedules, performing month-end and year-end close, preparation and review of various bank reconciliations,
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, marketing reports, and FTE reports.
- Management and preparation of firm analytics, bi-annual financial and statistical surveys, and year-end reporting such as profitability reports.
- Develop the Firm’s annual budget and analyze the monthly budget to actual variances.
- Oversee the procurement of assets and maintain the asset and depreciation schedules.
- Oversee the management of accounting functions related to the expense lines on the financial statements, including review, improvement, and implementation of processes and software related to those functions.
- Preparation or review of all governmental filings and taxes, including payroll, property and business tax.
- Assist with annual third party review of the financial statements, including preparation of all supporting schedules, published financial statements, and related footnotes. Present accounting information and data in accordance with modified cash basis of account with consideration of GAAP and relevant industry standards.
- Prepares materials for financial presentations and analyses, as required.
- Review bi-weekly payroll process, and serve as back up to payroll.
- Maintain day-to-day banking and investment relationships. Manage various accounting projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting (CPA a plus).
- 3-5 years experience as an accounting manager or assistant controller in law firm or professional services organization; Audit experience preferred.
- Knowledge of GAAP (including all relevant FASB pronouncements).
- Strong Excel, accounting database and systems management experience required.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, while remaining organized and efficient.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- An analytical mindset, with experience in audit and problem solving is a plus.
Qualified candidates with criminal histories will be considered consistent with applicable law.
Help Desk Specialist
We have an opening for a Help Desk Specialist to join our team! The Help Desk Specialist will have responsibility including, but not limited to: remote and desk-side troubleshooting and inputting and tracking all calls via our ticketing system. This position's primary responsibility will be the first point of contact for the firm IT questions and issues. The position is expected to be able to assist with desktop, handheld, remote access and network environments. A high degree of communication/ interaction required with end users.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide telephone and desk-side support for all software programs, applications and hardware supported by the Firm.
- Log all calls into firm-wide help desk issue call tracking database. Close and document all calls in a timely fashion.
- Prioritize, analyze and resolve problems (doing what is necessary to prevent problems from recurring).
- Understand and execute standard escalation procedures.
- Follow-up with end-users on open customer service requests and unresolved issues.
- Ability to respond calmly to high pressure situations and to professionally communicate with non‑technical staff.
- Work on special projects/assignments as needed.
- Read reference materials and appropriate periodicals to stay current on software enhancements and new applications introduced in the Firm.
- Ability to work on multiple projects/tasks simultaneously.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of the supported operating systems, the Microsoft Office product suite as well as firm-supported enterprise applications (e.g., document management, CRM, etc.).
- Experience working with mobile devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, etc.).
- Experience in troubleshooting software and hardware-based issues required.
- Ability to move, lift and install computer equipment (up to 25 pounds).
- Excellent organization skills with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with detailed information accurately and efficiently.
- Candidate should be highly motivated, a self-starter with excellent time management skills who is able to handle a variety of projects that require tight deadlines.
- Ability to adjust and adapt quickly to changing situations.
- Candidate must be able to work well as part of a team as well as work independently.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Exhibits clear and concise telephone and email etiquette.
Ability to interact with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- Flexibility for occasional overtime required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Certificate from an approved technical/computer school (or equivalent experience) and/or 3 years of computer-related experience.
- Bachelor's Degree not required but is considered a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency or experience with supported operating systems, the Microsoft Office product suite as well as firm-supported enterprise applications (e.g., document management, CRM, etc.).
- Law firm experience preferred, but not required.