ATTORNEY OPENINGS - LOS ANGELES
attorney openings - NEW YORK
attorney openings - Washington, dc
STAFF OPPORTUNITIES - LOS ANGELES
Research Librarian, Los Angeles Office
Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP is a mid-sized law firm on the west side of Los Angeles. The firm practices business law with an emphasis on Complex Litigation, Intellectual Property & Technology, Immigration, Labor & Employment, Entertainment, Tax, Benefits, Corporate Business Transaction, and Wealth Management. We are seeking a Research Librarian to join our Los Angeles office.
The Research Librarian mainly performs legal, business and competitive intelligence research for lawyers, clients, and firm departments using a variety of electronic and print resources. Typical projects may include research on individuals, attorneys, judges, mediators, and companies; legislative history research; locating court documents; researching example pleadings or motions; locating example clauses in SEC filings; and tracking litigation. The Research Librarian also performs catalog management and copy cataloging for the library, and is the backup for attorney training on research databases.
- Performs both quick and in-depth, complex case, statute, company, news, public records and business research with the ability to acquire, organize, and disseminate information in the most cost effective and timely manner.
- Identifies resources and develops research strategies for attorneys, paralegals and other staff.
- Performs EOS copy cataloging and serials work.
- Maintains relationships with lending libraries and document retrieval services.
- Assists with collection development by evaluating information needs, research requests, available resources and usage patterns; provides input on addition of new resources and weeding of resources no longer needed.
- Assists with collection maintenance duties including the ordering and cataloging of books, routing serials and shelving materials.
- Assists with financial management of the library by reviewing and confirming invoices and allocating expenses to the appropriate accounts.
- Assists with maintaining the library intranet pages and other tools to facilitate research, retrieval and current awareness among all internal parties.
- Assists in orientation of new attorneys to library services, research materials, procedures and policies.
- Supports the firm’s usage of legal and business databases by acting as the backup for securing passwords, coordinating introductory and recurring training and trouble-shooting technical issues.
- Must stay current with new and developing trends in research and technology and continually develop expertise (attend trainings, read literature).
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program or comparable degree is required.
- Minimum of 1 year of professional experience in user services in a law firm library setting.
- Fluency in computer-assisted research concepts and demonstrated facility in electronic research including legal, scientific, business and public records databases.
- Detail-oriented and organized, with ability to perform routine tasks with thoroughness, precision and care.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Strong user customer service skills, including the ability to prioritize requests with a high level of competence and accuracy; the ability to remain composed and professional under stressful circumstances.
- Ability for critical thinking and complex problem solving.
- Strong work ethic and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Experience using major legal and business databases/research platforms, including Lexis Advance, Courtlink, PACER, CCH Intelliconnect, and Practical Law.
- Light to moderate physical effort, including climbing step stools, pushing loaded book carts, lifting books (weighing up to 30 pounds) and carrying various other materials (weighing up to 15 pounds). Ability to touch and feel using a computer keyboard. Ability to see color and data on computer monitor.
MSK offers competitive compensation, 401K, medical, vision and dental coverage, life and AD&D insurance, flexible spending accounts and more.
Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified candidates with criminal histories will be considered consistent with applicable law.
Help Desk Specialist, Los Angeles Office
We have an opening for a Help Desk Specialist to join our team! The Help Desk Specialist will have responsibility including, but not limited to: remote and desk-side troubleshooting and inputting and tracking all calls via our ticketing system. This position's primary responsibility will be the first point of contact for the firm IT questions and issues. The position is expected to be able to assist with desktop, handheld, remote access and network environments. A high degree of communication/ interaction required with end users.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide telephone and desk-side support for all software programs, applications and hardware supported by the Firm.
- Log all calls into firm-wide help desk issue call tracking database. Close and document all calls in a timely fashion.
- Prioritize, analyze and resolve problems (doing what is necessary to prevent problems from recurring).
- Understand and execute standard escalation procedures.
- Follow-up with end-users on open customer service requests and unresolved issues.
- Ability to respond calmly to high pressure situations and to professionally communicate with non‑technical staff.
- Work on special projects/assignments as needed.
- Read reference materials and appropriate periodicals to stay current on software enhancements and new applications introduced in the Firm.
- Ability to work on multiple projects/tasks simultaneously.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of the supported operating systems, the Microsoft Office product suite as well as firm-supported enterprise applications (e.g., document management, CRM, etc.).
- Experience working with mobile devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, etc.).
- Experience in troubleshooting software and hardware-based issues required.
- Ability to move, lift and install computer equipment (up to 25 pounds).
- Excellent organization skills with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with detailed information accurately and efficiently.
- Candidate should be highly motivated, a self-starter with excellent time management skills who is able to handle a variety of projects that require tight deadlines.
- Ability to adjust and adapt quickly to changing situations.
- Candidate must be able to work well as part of a team as well as work independently.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Exhibits clear and concise telephone and email etiquette.
Ability to interact with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- Flexibility for occasional overtime required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Certificate from an approved technical/computer school (or equivalent experience) and/or 3 years of computer-related experience.
- Bachelor's Degree not required but is considered a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency or experience with supported operating systems, the Microsoft Office product suite as well as firm-supported enterprise applications (e.g., document management, CRM, etc.).
- Law firm experience preferred, but not required.
Please submit resume to email@example.com.
staff opportunities - NEW YORK
Legal Assistant, New York Office (Mid-town Manhattan)
Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP (MSK), established in Los Angeles more than a hundred years ago as an entertainment law firm, has expanded over the years to include offices in New York, and Washington, D.C. Its New York office includes an active and vibrant commercial and entertainment litigation practice.
MSK’s New York office is seeking an energetic, organized, self-starter as a legal assistant/secretary to assist a litigation partner and two associates in the litigation department.
MSK offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, generous paid time off benefits and retirement plan options.
- Performing typing and transcription of correspondence
- Preparing documents, including briefs and motions, in final format, including redlining, blacklining, creating tables of contents, tables of authorities in accordance with local courts rules.
- Editing drafts of documents such as correspondence, pleadings, discovery demands and responses, requests for production, subpoenas, deposition notices and other legal documents.
- Managing attorney emails in Outlook and saving them in our document management system.
- Accurately entering attorney’s billing time.
- Arranging meetings, travel, expense reimbursements, client bills, scheduling appointments, and maintaining attorneys’ calendars.
- Handling electronic case filings in state and federal courts (i.e. N.Y.S.C.E.F., S.D.N.Y., E.D.N.Y.)
- Interacting with clients, court personnel, including Judges’ law secretaries and court clerks, and other attorney contacts.
- Litigation secretarial experience with proficiency in litigation terminology and procedures including state and federal court filing and e-filing procedures in New York.
- Accurate typing skills of 75+ wpm and excellent written and verbal communication skills .
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite 2010 including Word, Outlook and Excel required. Computer- saavy, and able to work with and learn new document management systems.
- Able to multi-task, and be a team player committed to providing a high level of client service and accurate and professional work product for the attorneys.
- Flexibility to work overtime a plus
- Undergraduate degree a plus.