Extensive jury and bench trial, arbitration, appellate, and mediation experience.
Broad entertainment industry experience, including film investment disputes, accounting disputes as to sales of films and syndicated television programming, "back-end" contingent compensation claims, copyright, idea submission and other intellectual property claims.
Insurance industry expertise focused on the representation of insured clients in disputes over coverage for employment, media & film production claims, securities, and business interruption claims. Also represented California Insurance Commissioner in matters involving conservation of insolvent insurers.
Represent employers in a wide range of employment disputes, including wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and trade secret/unfair competition cases.
- Ongoing representation of studio in connection with disputes regarding contingent participation claims.
- Ongoing representation of studio in connection with production insurance coverage claim against insurer regarding relocation of production costs.
- Won $50 million jury trial verdict for client in breach of fiduciary lawsuit tried in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Represented prevailing party in AAA arbitration in contingent compensation dispute as to participation in particular lines of revenue.
- Successfully represented motion picture producer in connection with cast coverage claim against insurer.
- Successfully represented motion picture financiers and investors in connection with a number of film financing disputes.
- Successfully represented numerous clients compelling insurance coverage for employment, media production, director & officer, fidelity claims.
- Successfully defended large national clothing manufacturer in several high-profile employment-related lawsuits
- Successfully resolved claims asserted by motion picture celebrities for alleged misappropriation of name, likeness & image.
- Represented prevailing parties in numerous Independent Film and Television Alliance (IFTA) arbitrations for film production and distribution companies concerning film and television distribution agreements.
Honors & Awards
- California, "Attorneys of the Year," The Recorder (2012)
- "500 Leading Lawyers in America," Lawdragon (2012)
- "Top 5% of lawyers in Southern California," Southern California Super Lawyers (2005-2010, 2012-2017)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Southern California Regional Co-Chair, ABA Judicial Intern Opportunity Program
- ABA Section of Litigation Leadership – Professional Development Committee
- Co-Chair, Woman Advocate Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of Litigation
- Board of Directors, Legal Momentum (formerly known as NOW Legal Defense & Education Fund)
- Diversity Committee, Managing Partners Roundtable
- California State Bar Committee on Status of Diversity in the Profession
- Former member, Board of Directors, Public Counsel
- Constitutional Rights Foundation, Mock Trial Coach, 2011, 2012, 2013
- April 25, 2017
- June 20, 2016
- January 20, 2016
- November 21, 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- January 2013
- September 10, 2012
- January 27, 2012
- January 23, 2012
- January 26, 2010
- January 30, 2009
- November 21, 2008
- January 30, 2008
- Unringing the Waiver Bell: What To Do When Privileged Information Is Inadvertently DisclosedFebruary 2013
- ABA's The Woman Advocate, 2nd Edition, May 2010
- New Limits on Expert Discovery, Evaluating Early District Court attempts to Interpret the New RuleFebruary 2010
- Published numerous articles on diversity, insurance coverage, and entertainment related issues
- The Diversity Dilemma: Another Victim of the Bad Economy?February 2010
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Developing Law Regarding 2010 Amendments to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 26May 2015
- True GritMay 2015
- Inadvertent Disclosure of Privileged Information: Avoiding WaiverFebruary 2015
- Inadvertent Disclosure of Privileged Information: Avoiding WaiverMay 2014
- Inadvertent Disclosure of Privileged Information: Avoiding WaiverMay 2013
- Ethics of Cloud ComputingApril 2013
- Punitive DamagesFebruary 2012
- February 15, 2012
- February 10, 2012
- Ethical Challenges in Preparing Witnesses and Working with Experts: Best Practices to Avoid Unethical Coaching of Lay and Expert WitnessesJanuary 2012
- Staying the Course: Overcoming Challenges over the Decades of a Legal CareerFebruary 2011
- The Diversity DilemmaFebruary 2010
- Entertainment Law in ReviewJanuary 2010
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit
University of California Davis School of Law, J.D., 1986
University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1983