May 22, 1989, in the Architecture Quadrangle on the UCLA campus, the School of Law held its 37th commencement ceremony. The auspicious occasion featured U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry A. Blackmun as the principal speaker and Gabriella Nourafchan, who gracefully floated across the dais grasping the prized Juris Doctorate diploma. But it wasn’t hers . . . it belonged to her mother. Gabriella was only along for the ride as a 6-month old in her mother’s arms.
Not surprisingly, Gabriella knew very early in life that law school would be in her future. As an avid sports enthusiast in high school, playing everything from soccer to field hockey, she displayed an intensity and commitment to performance on the field that would pave the way towards life as a litigator. As Gabriella moved from high school to college to law school, she acquired another interesting trait found to be useful in her line of work . . . an addiction to different colored highlighters. Her reputation amongst her circle of friends for her color coding techniques was well established, which continues to this day in her Outlook calendar.
The crowning moment for Gabriella came when, on the same UCLA campus twenty-five years later, she received her own Juris Doctorate diploma in the presence of The Honorable John Paul Stevens, Associate Justice, United States Supreme Court (Ret.), and her mother of course.
- Member of trial team that obtained judgment as a matter of law on behalf of all Defendants, which dismissed Plaintiff’s copyright infringement claim against Jay-Z, Timbaland, and various record labels, which alleged that the song “Big Pimpin” infringed his copyright in an Egyptian composition. Osama Ahmed Fahmy v. Jay-Z (aka Shawn Carter), et al., 2:07-cv-05715-CAS (C.D. Cal. 2015).
- Represents record labels, artists, and major online content providers in litigation of various intellectual property matters, including copyright and trademark disputes, and litigation arising under the DMCA.
- Member of litigation team that negotiated favorable settlement for international company in breach of contract dispute.
Other Career Experience
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Margaret M. Morrow, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Legal Intern, Law Offices of Levy & Nourafchan LLP
- February 18, 2016
- California Takes a Stab at Origin Regulation: Made in California?June 11, 2015
- California, 2014
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit, 2014
University of California Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 2014
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Communications, 2011; magna cum laude, Dean's List (2008 & 2010)