Dan Leon is a second generation MSK veteran. His father led MSK’s Real Estate group from 1988 to 2008, at which time at the age of 80 he retired. Dan, having pursued the practice of real estate law with several national real estate developers, and several outstanding law firms, stepped into his father’s shoes as head of MSK’s real estate group. He also continued his interest in fine wines. Dan had learned early on that making a good real estate deal is like creating a fine wine. A winemaker needs a good plot of land, fine grapes, and the skill to mix and produce from such raw materials, a wine which will bring enjoyment to many for years and years. A real estate lawyer also needs a client with a good plot of land, a fine development scheme to be built or pursued, and the skill to marry the interest of that client with the interests of the client’s associates, developers, investors, lenders and tenants so that each can achieve an adequate return based on the contribution each has made to the deal, all with the additional goal of protecting and promoting the interest of the public
On a rainy day, Dan can often be found in a musty wine cellar, with a lovely smile on his face, sipping a 1974 Spring Mountain Cabernet or a 1985 Mouton Rothschild, pondering the next real estate transaction which might come his way, enjoying the attributes of the wine he is sipping, and considering how he can protect the interest of his clients, their affiliates and the community, which will result in a project which will benefit all, and like a fine wine, last for many years.
Danny Leon specializes in all facets of real property transactions, with emphasis on multi-use development, joint ventures, acquisition and construction financing (including securitized real estate financings and other structured financings), master planned community development and entitlement, major industrial and commercial leasing, land-use regulation, governmental relations and permit entitlement approvals, and environmental cleanup and regulation.
He has additional expertise in corporate, business and mass media transactions, including asset and stock acquisitions, reorganizations, financings, shareholder agreements, buy-sell arrangements, exit strategies, licensing and content agreements, syndication and financing of radio, television and movie productions, library acquisitions and employment agreements.
- Negotiated and coordinated purchase agreements, joint venture agreements, financing documents, due diligence and all closing activities for a variety of real property transactions involving residential, commercial, mixed-use, hotel, resort and retail development, purchase and sale.
- Structured and negotiated the strategic acquisition and disposition of television and radio stations, syndicated radio programming and outdoor advertising facilities.
- Responsible for all regional acquisition activities for a national homebuilder, including sourcing, generating and identifying acquisition opportunities, financial projections and risk assessment.
- Negotiated purchase and sale agreements and supervised entitlement processing, including governmental relations and the preparation and approval of all entitlement documents, for over 4,000 lots/units.
- Negotiated purchase, refurbishment, development and construction agreements for distribution and warehouse facilities on behalf of importers and exporters of apparel, athletic footwear and fabrics, and leasing agreements for the headquarters and warehouse of a beauty products manufacturer and distributor.
- Supervised acquisition feasibility studies, including urban in-fill multi-use and high density target acquisition strategies and product recommendations.
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Board Member, American Youth Soccer Organization
Other Career Experience
- Standard Pacific Homes, Director, Land Acquisition
- KB Home, Director of Legal Affairs and Director of Land Acquisition
- Heenan Blaikie, Shareholder
- April 21, 2009
- October 3, 2008
- July 17, 2008