Stephen represents employers in all areas of labor and employment law, including claims involving harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and sex, race, age and disability discrimination. His experience includes defending clients across a wide array of industries in class actions, wage-and-hour single plaintiff and PAGA claims and representing employers in state and federal lawsuits, private arbitration and administrative proceedings. In addition, he has helped businesses respond to charges and investigations by the DFEH, DLSE, and NLRB as well as assisted with pre-litigation negotiations. Stephen also advises business owners and human resource professionals on employment matters, including workplace investigations, employee discipline, disability accommodations, and compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Stephen maintains an active pro bono practice, including service as pro bono employment counsel for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit medical clinic in Pico Union
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of global health care company in disability and age discrimination lawsuit brought by former manager.
- Second-chaired and successfully obtained complete defense verdict in arbitration over former employees' wage and hour claims against popular California restaurant.
- Drafted successful motions for summary judgment and motions to compel arbitration on behalf of private and public employers.
- Drafted motion for summary adjudication in disability discrimination lawsuit on behalf of national retail warehouse club resulting in a favorable settlement within days at a fraction of the previous demand and dismissal of a putative statewide class action.
- Took plaintiffs' depositions in discrimination, harassment, and wage and hour lawsuits against employers in the transportation and medical industries.
- Regularly investigated claims of discrimination and harassment on behalf of retail and restaurant clients before mediating claims.
- Regularly negotiated numerous favorable settlements for employers in restaurant, hospitality, and service industries over alleged failures to provide breaks and pay wages.
- Secured dismissal of NLRB unfair labor practice charge on behalf of tool manufacturer.
- Defended numerous statewide class actions and PAGA representative actions based on alleged violations of the California Labor Code.
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Member, Japanese American Bar Association
Other Career Experience
- Associate, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
- Associate, Raines Feldman LLP
- Extern, The Honorable Alan M. Ahart of the United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California
- June 16, 2021
- March 2, 2021
- December 23, 2020
- COVID Continuation: California Expands Supplemental Paid Sick Leave Coverage for Employers With Over 500 EmployeesSeptember 17, 2020
- Come Fly The Friendly Skies? California Supreme Court Rules California Wage Laws Do Not Always Apply to Working In The Golden StateJuly 16, 2020
- California Issues Model Notice of Food Sector Worker Paid Sick Leave That Eligible Employers Must PostApril 28, 2020
- California Provides Supplemental Paid Sick Leave For Food Sector WorkersApril 21, 2020
- Los Angeles Provides Guidance on Emergency Paid Sick Leave OrdinanceApril 17, 2020
- Los Angeles Enacts New Emergency Paid Sick Leave Ordinance For Large EmployersApril 10, 2020
- Top 15 Practical Takeaways From the New Sick and Family Leave DOL RegulationsApril 3, 2020
- US Department of Labor Will Not Enforce The FFCRA Until April 18, 2020March 27, 2020
- Department of Labor Releases Initial Q&A for Families First Coronavirus Response Act, Effective April 1, 2020March 26, 2020
- DOL Releases Model Families First Coronavirus Response Act Notice That Eligible Employers Must PostMarch 26, 2020
- Department of Labor Releases Initial Q&A for Families First Coronavirus Response Act, Effective April 1, 2020March 25, 2020
- UPDATE: President Trump Signs Families First Coronavirus Response ActMarch 20, 2020
- March 16, 2020
- August 26, 2019
- U.S.D.C., Central District of California
- U.S.D.C., Northern District of California
- U.S.D.C., Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
University of California Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 2013
Wheaton College, B.A., 2009