Timothy M. Carter is an associate in Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp's Litigation Practice Group. Tim’s practice focuses on Intellectual Property and Entertainment Litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Tim worked in the legal department of Wenner Media LLC (formerly Rolling Stone Magazine, Us Weekly, Men’s Journal, Glixel) where he was responsible for pre-publication review of editorial and branded digital content; advising on fair use, intellectual property, defamation, privacy, and advertising issues; and drafting and negotiating a variety of intellectual property and media licensing agreements, releases, talent agreements, and marketing and advertising agreements.
- Analyze legal issues in copyright, trademark, advertising, defamation, right of publicity, breach of contract, and entertainment matters.
- Counsel producers of television, film, advertisements, music, and video games on first amendment, right of publicity, privacy, copyright, trademark, defamation, and other pre-publications issues.
- Review of scripted and unscripted programming.
- Draft, negotiate, and review general and minor appearance releases, intellectual property licensing agreements, publishing agreements, synchronization and master use licenses, talent agreements, media licensing agreements, employment agreements, work for hire agreements, branded content agreements, sponsorship agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Advise on, draft, and review official rules, copy, and disclosures for sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, The Legal Aid Society’s 2019 Pro Bono Publico Award
Other Career Experience
- Law Clerk, Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP
- Summer Associate, Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP
- Manager, Rights & Clearances / Law Department, Wenner Media LLC (Rolling Stone Magazine, Us Weekly, Men’s Journal, Glixel)
- Coordinator, Rights & Clearances, NBCUniversal Media LLC
- Music & Intellectual Property Researcher, Jazz at Lincoln Center
- October 28, 2019
- S.D.N.Y.: A Legal "Modern Warfare": Activision and the First Amendment Triumph in Humvee Trademark DisputeMedia Law Resource Center's MediaLawLetter, April 2020
- July 28, 2020
- June 9, 2020
- June 9, 2020
- May 29, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- April 21, 2020
- April 20, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- April 2, 2020
- The New York COVID-19 Quarantine Leave LawMarch 30, 2020
- Cybersecurity Concerns with Remote WorkMarch 23, 2020
- March 12, 2020
Events & Speaking Engagements
- December 4, 2019
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- District of New Jersey
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2018
Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal
Loyola University New Orleans, B.S., 2012; magna cum laude