As a transactional attorney in our nation’s entertainment capital, Orly Ravid’s 19-year career in film and series including development, production, acquisitions, sales, film festival programming, theatrical and festival distribution, and business affairs has enabled her to see past the preview to better help her clients. As an entertainment attorney in MSK’s Motion Picture, Television & Music Transactions Department and the founder of non-profit The Film Collaborative (TFC), Orly counseled and contributed to Sundance's Artist Services / Transparency Project and has spoken about distribution on panels and conferences at film schools and festivals including Sundance, UCLA, USC, IDFA, Cannes, SXSW, and LAFF/Film Independent. She has written numerous articles on distribution, some of which have debuted on Indiewire before appearing on TFC’s website. Orly is committed to helping artistically and intellectually rigorous and important films reach their respective audiences via financial models that are sustainable for filmmakers. Called a “big picture” thinker, Orly founded TFC in response to a dominant and overarching structure that favors middlemen over filmmakers. She is as passionate about protecting filmmakers’ rights and revenues as she is about quality filmmaking.
- Represent both investors and producers in film investment transactions.
- Represent animation production company in producing animated series for Facebook and Quibi.
- Represent writers and production companies with respect to shopping and auctioning underlying rights.
- Represent filmmakers in development, production, and distribution of award-winning documentaries and scripted independent films.
- Sales agent for award-winning top-notch film festival films.
- Represented Imagination Worldwide in the acquisition and distribution of the SXSW 2017 award-winner, The Light of the Moon (starring Stephanie Beatriz and Michael Stahl-David).
- Licensing of documentary film to CNN for worldwide rights and advised filmmaker client on supplementary distribution options and licensing potential.
- Represent producers in Hulu production services transaction.
- Represent filmmaker in AMC Networks distribution transaction.
- Licensing of films to Netflix for worldwide rights and advise clients on additional distribution options and licensing.
- General counsel for Imagination Worldwide. Advise client on all legal and distribution matters, including launch of US distribution division.
- Licensing of documentary film for Viacom/MTV.
- Licensing of film to HBO Latin America.
- Represent filmmakers in licensing films to Independent Television Service (ITVS) for broadcast on PBS.
- Represent clients in life rights deal for Sundance documentary sold to Fox Searchlight.
- Licensing of independent feature film including implementing sophisticated split rights strategies.
- Advise on overall distribution strategy for independent feature film.
- Negotiation and drafting distribution agreements of every type (theatrical, educational, home video, digital, broadcast).
- Draft and review option purchase agreements for television and motion picture properties.
- Draft co-production agreements.
- Due diligence of rights for film and television properties.
- Represent client in film production dispute.
- Represent clients in breach of contract matters.
- Representation of international sales agent / distributor; producers, directors, actors, authors, content creators.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Schumacher Scholarship (Full-Tuition)
- Published Member, Southwestern Law Review
- Recipient, CALI “Excellence for Future” Awards: Contracts & Legal Reasoning
- Recipient, WITKIN Award, Constitutional Law
- Amicus Brief Project, Selected to write pilot Amicus Brief accepted by Ninth Circuit and Lead author of Amicus Brief accepted by United States Supreme Court
- Biederman Institute (Entertainment) “Scholar”
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Law, Southwestern Law School (2018 – Present)
- Director, Biederman Entertainment & Media Law Institute, Southwestern Law School
- Advisory Board, We Do It Together (2016 – Present)
- Board of Directors, The Film Collaborative (2009 – Present)
- Adjunct Professor, Southwestern Law School (2017 – 2018 )
- Named, Ted Hope’s “Brave Thinkers of Indie Film”
- Board of Directors, OUTFEST Los Angeles, 2002 – 2005
Other Career Experience
- Associate, Early Sullivan Wright Gizer & McRae
- Judicial Clerk /Research Attorney, Los Angeles Superior Court
- Judicial Extern, California Supreme Court
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Yvette Palazuelos
- Founder, President of the Board, Co-Executive Director, The Film Collaborative
- Vice President, Acquisitions and Distribution/Business Affairs, Senator Entertainment
- Director of Acquisitions, Business Affairs, and Digital Distribution, Wolfe Releasing
- Associate Programmer, Documentary, Sundance Film Festival
- March 11, 2018
- May 31, 2017
- January 12, 2017
- November 23, 2016
- August 31, 2016
- May 15, 2016
- The Biederman Blog, December 17, 2018
- Indiewire, July 9, 2015
- Sundance Institute Blog, August 9, 2011
Events & Speaking Engagements
- May 18, 2019
- December 12, 2018
- November 1, 2018
- April 15, 2018
- March 13, 2018
- March 12, 2018
- March 10, 2018
- Producer's Guild of America (PGA) SeminarNovember 10, 2017
- May 20, 2017
- April 7, 2017
- March 18, 2017
- March 14, 2017
- March 12, 2017
- October 25, 2016
- September 29, 2016
- April 28, 2016
- March 13, 2016
- U.S. Federal Court
Southwestern Law School, J.D., 2014; Published Member, Southwestern Law Review
Columbia University, Barnard College, B.A., English Literature, 1993; Dean’s List