Labor and employment law on behalf of management concentrating primarily in the areas of federal and California employment law, equal opportunity issues, and union/management relations.
Advise clients regarding hiring practices, workplace investigations, leave of absence issues, compensation and payroll practices.
Advise entertainment industry employers with respect to terms and conditions of employment pursuant to above-the-line and below-the-line collective bargaining agreements.
Represent employers in administrative proceedings, investigations, and audits conducted by federal and California agencies, such as the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. Department of Labor, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and California Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board.
- Obtained injunction in federal court against picketing based on violation of Lanham Act and trade libel.
- Successfully defended management in numerous unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board, and successfully defended management’s choice of work assignment in jurisdictional dispute between two entertainment industry unions.
- Successfully defended employers in multiple employment discrimination, wage-hour and wrongful termination actions in state and federal trial court and appellate proceedings.
- Successfully defended entertainment industry employers in arbitrations concerning the rights of writers in ancillary entertainment productions.
- Assisted in defending a major civil rights action brought against a municipal police department by police officers and their union.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© in Litigation - Labor and Employment (2011-2019)
- "Top 5% of lawyers in Southern California," Southern California Super Lawyers (2005-2006, 2008-2019)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section
- Committee on the Development of Law under the National Labor Relations Act, American Bar Association
Other Career Experience
- Law Clerk to Judge Robert S. Vance, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (1981-1982)
- January 30, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- January 20, 2017
- August 22, 2016
- January 20, 2016
- August 2015
- November 21, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2015 Recognizes 21 Attorneys from Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp and Names 2 Attorneys “Lawyer of the Year”August 2014
- January 2014
- August 15, 2013
- January 2013
- August 24, 2012
- January 23, 2012
- August 31, 2011
- January 25, 2011
- August 19, 2010
- January 26, 2010
- January 30, 2009
- January 30, 2008
- Contributing editor, The Developing Labor LawJune 17, 2015
- Regular columnist with the Los Angeles Daily Journal, writing on labor law subjects (1989-1991).
- October 31, 2017
- California, 1981
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California, 1981
- Northern District of California, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeal, 1982
- Fifth Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
- Eleventh Circuit
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1980; Order of the Coif; with Honors
Associate Editor, Univ. of Chicago Law Review
University of California, Berkeley, A.B., 1977; Phi Beta Kappa; with Great Distinction