About an hour south of Mexico City sits the town of Cuernavaca, nicknamed the City of Eternal Spring. Known for its tempered climate, mystic atmosphere and abundant vegetation, it has become a weekend retreat for many Mexico City residents and host to a large foreign resident population. It has over fifty Spanish language schools whose students come from around the world, with Marc Jones being included among them during his initial Spanish immersion training in 1994 and many subsequent courses.
Marc’s initial interest in becoming fluent in Spanish arose out of an interest in being able to better serve a segment of the non-English speaking population that he observed was not receiving great service during his prior career in banking. When Marc made his first visit to Cuernavaca, he lacked sufficient command of Spanish to hail or provide the most basic instructions to taxi drivers. He feared that he would receive the same harsh treatment in Mexico that he witnessed non-English speaking foreigners receive across the border in the US. What he received instead, to his great surprise, was a warm, helpful and forgiving embrace from the very community he was interested in helping back home. By immersing himself in the culture and language of this community for over two decades, Marc is now fluent in written and spoken Spanish.
George Leonard’s book, Mastery, highlights the principles that drive many successful people, among them is a long-term commitment to learning. Being one of Marc’s favorite books, it reflects his desire to excel and has been inherent to his character for as long as he can remember. Marc has traveled the long road towards mastery across many disciplines. Whether he’s studying martial arts, working on his golf game, deepening his fluency in Spanish or practicing law, Marc’s commitment to learning drives him towards excellence.
Mr. Jones is the chair of the firm's Corporate & Business Transactions Department and is a member of the Hiring Committee and Ethics Committee. Prior to joining the firm in 2012, he was a partner at Goodwin Procter and McDermott, Will and Emery. He has over 20 years of experience in the areas of private equity and strategic acquisitions, minority investments, venture capital and growth equity financings and joint ventures transactions in a broad range of industries.
- Represented a private equity firm in an acquisition of an Illinois-based provider of language training, translation and mobility solutions that facilitate employee relocations and talent development around the world.
- Represented a privately-held medical technology company in a reverse merger with a publicly held Canadian company and related corporate reorganizations of both entities and a PIPE offering.
- Represented a private equity firm in an approximately $42 million leveraged buyout of a publicly-traded company that designs, manufactures and installs automated self-serve kiosks for departments of motor vehicles across the US.
- Represented a private equity firm in an approximately $31 million joint acquisition of a California-based designer jeans manufacturer.
- Represented a private equity firm in a significant investment in a North Carolina-based technology company that was a pioneer in real-time on-screen graphics and virtual insertions and social media integration for live televised sport and entertainment events.
- Represented a senior management team of a sports equipment manufacturing company with over $1 billion in investment in the restructuring of an equity incentive plan for the management team valued at approximately $60 million.
- Represented the special financing committee of a privately-held geothermal developer in a $108 million follow-on equity financing by Denham Capital.
- Represented a large Massachusetts-based wind energy company owned primarily by two private equity firms, in an approximately $44 million investment by two Canadian private investment firms.
- Represented a newly-formed company, whose management team was led by Al Mann in the acquisition of two separate business units from Boston Scientific involving consideration in excess of $1.3 billion.
- Represented an Ohio-based, privately-held steel processing company in a $220 million stock acquisition by Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co.
- Represented internationally known licensing company in an approximately $200 million sale of global trademark portfolio.
- Represented Univision in an approximately $100 million acquisition of controlling interest in a Mexico-based record company.
- Represented a publicly-traded company in an approximately $65 million acquisition of a privately-held radiation therapy company.
- Represented a California-based process outsourcing company in its approximately $15 million acquisition of a Massachusetts-based management consulting firm.
- Represented a publicly-traded financial services company in its approximately $28 million acquisition of a closely-held equipment leasing company and certain of its affiliates.
Honors & Awards
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Law & Politics Los Angeles Magazine
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Member, American Bar Association - Business Law Section
- Mentor, Lowell Milken Institute-Sandler Prize for New Entrepreneurs (UCLA Law, 2016-2017)
Other Career Experience
- Predecessor Firm, Richardson & Patel LLP
- Partner at Goodwin Procter, LLP
- Partner at McDermott Will & Emery LLP
- February 21, 2018
- January 25, 2018
- August 17, 2017
- November 29, 2016
- July 1, 2015
- August 5, 2014
University of California Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1995
University of California, Los Angeles, M.B.A., 1995
University of California, Davis, B.A., 1989