Finding the right ingredients, using the right tools, and bringing the right amount of heat. That is the approach John brings to cooking. On weekends, if he is not working, he is in the kitchen or outside with one of his several barbecues. Whether it’s a flawless French omelet, a basic grilled fish, or a Balinese pork shoulder cooked slowly on a rotisserie, the goal is to use skill, focus, and creativity to make something elegant and delicious. The right ingredients are useless without organization, technique, and a touch of inspiration.
It’s this same philosophy that drives John’s work as a successful business litigator. He leaves nothing to chance and drives the process of preparing a case with unflappable precision. Writing a great brief or advocating effectively in court requires careful selection of arguments, deep knowledge of the law, and meticulous execution. Winning a complex case requires thinking several steps ahead, coordinating dozens of details, and being flexible and creative. In addition to highly capable legal counsel, the marriage of these skills brings one other benefit to John’s clients: the opportunity for a great, home cooked meal.
John Durrant‘s practice focuses on business litigation, including securities, financial, real estate, partnership disputes, and class actions. His experience includes matters in federal and state court, multidistrict litigation, and domestic and international arbitrations.
Mr. Durrant has successfully defended companies in cases involving alleged violation of federal securities laws, blue sky laws, and common law. Mr. Durrant also is a “go-to” litigator for both plaintiffs and defendants in matters involving business torts, complex contractual arrangements, partnerships, real estate, intellectual property, consumer cases, and unfair competition. Finally, Mr. Durrant has represented clients in regulatory inquiries related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Over the years, Mr. Durrant has been recognized internationally, locally, and by his peers for incisive legal analysis and impactful courtroom advocacy.
- Representation of plaintiffs and defendants in partnership disputes, including major intra-family disputes, and matters related to the operation and management of both closely-held and publicly-traded companies.
- Representation of multiple clients facing SEC investigations and enforcement actions.
- Representation of clients in class actions, derivative suits, and single plaintiff actions.
- Defense of multiple class action and individual lawsuits brought against global investment bank, arising out of the dislocation of the auction rate securities market. Allegations originally involved tens of billions of dollars in losses. The court dismissed all class action claims, a victory The American Lawyer called a “big win” and the Financial Times ranked among the year’s top 10 U.S. litigation matters in its 2011 “Innovative Lawyers” report.
- Defense of J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley as lead underwriters, and the members of two underwriting syndicates (Deutsche Bank, Jefferies, JMP Securities, Piper Jaffray, Roth Capital Partners, and Stifel Nicolaus) in a securities class action.
- Represented affiliates of IT services company now owned by Dassault Systèmes, in major international arbitration.
- Represented global pharmaceutical company in anti-corruption investigation.
- Represented multiple clients in real estate disputes.
Honors & Awards
Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© in Securities Litigation (2021)
Super Lawyers: Southern California Super Lawyer (2014-2020)
Martindale-Hubbell: AV Preeminent®, Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence (2013-2020)
American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California's Criminal Justice Award (2015)
California Lawyer: Attorney of the Year (CLAY) (2013)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Los Angeles County Complex Courts, Bench/Bar Committee Member (2011-2020), Co-Chair (2019-2020)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Litigation Section Executive Committee (2019-2020)
Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Board of Governors (2015-2019) and Member (2020)
Children’s Bureau of Southern California, Board Member and Executive Committee Member (2012-2017)
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Judicial Elections Evaluations Committee (2011-2014)
Other Career Experience
- Equity Partner and Associate, Litigation Department, Paul Hastings (2001-2016)
- Student Attorney, Mandel Legal Aid Clinic, University of Chicago (1999)
- Business and Technology Writer, Cambridge Technology Partners (1996-1998)
- August 20, 2020
- January 30, 2019
- January 20, 2017
- November 14, 2016
- June 27, 2016
- June 14, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- June 1, 2016
- May 26, 2016
- May 23, 2016
- Law360, November 3, 2015
- ABA, Section of Litigation, March 12, 2015
- Law360, 2014
- Bloomberg BNA, April 8, 2013
- May 6, 2020