Ann Calfas specializes in labor and employment law matters, with extensive experience in collective bargaining, litigation and arbitrations. She advises film, television and sports clients on collective bargaining agreement compliance and handles disputes arising with media and entertainment unions. In her prior role as chief labor negotiator for Fox Entertainment Group, she led the Fox companies in their industry-wide negotiations with the DGA, WGA, SAG-ATRA, AFM, IATSE and Basic Crafts (among others). She has in-depth knowledge of guild and union contracts and related production matters.
In the employment law area, Ann conducts workplace investigations, creates compliance programs, drafts employment policies, and provides harassment and discrimination prevention training. Her other areas of expertise include executive employment contracts, separation agreements, employee classification issues, wage and hour compliance, reorganizations, reductions in force, mergers and acquisitions, and union organizing.
Honors & Awards
- Association of Corporate Counsel of America (ACCA) Southern California, Pro Bono Counsel of the Year, 2006
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Board of Directors, AFTRA Retirement Fund (2013-Present)
- Board of Directors, Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (2010-2019)
- Board of Directors, Motion Picture Industry Pension and Health Plans (2018-2019)
- Board of Directors, Directors Guild of America - Producers Pension and Health Plans (2018-2019)
- Board of Directors, SAG-AFTRA Health Plan (2017-2019)
- Co-Chair, DGA-Producers Joint Diversity Action Committee (2017-2019)
- Board of Directors, Disability Rights Legal Center (1999-2010)
- Board President, 2005-2006 (two terms)
- Board of Directors, California Employment Law Council (2001-2008)
Other Career Experience
- Executive Vice President, Labor Relations and Employment Litigation, Fox Entertainment Group
- Senior Vice President, Chief Employment Counsel, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.
- Associate, Labor and Employment, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- California, 1992
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California, 1993
Stanford Law School, J.D.
Associate Editor, Stanford Law Review
Middlebury College, B.A., summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa