Alexandra (Xander) A.K. Meise represents and advises sovereign governments, state-owned enterprises, and private entities in the prevention and resolution of international private and public law disputes. This work has included representing parties before U.S. federal courts, the International Court of Justice, and international investment and commercial arbitration panels, as well as in negotiations between sovereign States and/or with international organizations, NGOs, and private entities. In addition, she has advised governments and multinational corporations on best practices for adhering to international human rights norms and social responsibility standards and has counseled governments on investment and sustainable development-related legal reforms.
An experienced lecturer, Xander has trained government officials, practitioners, business leaders, students, and civil society leaders on a host of subjects related to international litigation, public international law and international humanitarian law, international arbitration, and human rights. She also lectures on matters of international security and human rights, especially the international law implications of government actions. Xander incorporates into her practice her experience working on five continents, including service to an international political development organization, the U.S. State Department, and international criminal tribunals.
- Viaduct d.o.o. Portorož, Vladimir Zevnik and Boris Goljevšček v. Bosnia and Herzegovina, ICSID Case No. ARB/16/36 (pending). Representing Slovenian investors in a treaty arbitration at ICSID seeking compensation for the expropriation of two hydroelectric power plant projects in the Republika Srpska region of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Somalia v. Kenya. Represented Somalia in International Court of Justice dispute relating to the delimitation of the Parties’ maritime boundary in the Indian Ocean.
- Louis Dreyfus Armateurs SAS v. Republic of India. Represented India in a UNCITRAL Arbitration under the India–France bilateral investment treaty arising from a contract concerning the supply and operation of cargo handling equipment.
- Valores Mundiales, S.L. and Consorcio Andino, S.L. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. Counsel to Venezuela in this ICSID case involving a dispute over an agricultural product investment.
- Murphy Exploration & Production Company-International v. The Republic of Ecuador. Counsel to Ecuador in an UNCITRAL arbitration under the Ecuador–US bilateral investment treaty arising from changes in domestic legislation pertaining to the exploitation of oil resources in Ecuador.
- Nova Scotia Power Inc. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. Represented the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela against a Canadian energy company in ICSID Additional Facility arbitral proceedings under the Canada–Venezuela bilateral investment treaty arising out of a coal supply contract. Won dismissal of all claims for lack of jurisdiction.
- Represented a Latin American government against a Canadian gold mining company in ICSID Additional Facility arbitral proceedings with $10 billion in claims arising out of disputes over gold mining concessions and environmental rights.
- Represented a Latin American government in two ICSID arbitral proceedings under the Luxembourg and Portugal–Venezuela bilateral investment treaties arising from measures allegedly affecting claimants’ investment in the country’s steel industry.
- Counsel to an Asian government in a US$425 million arbitration before ICSID and a related US$565 million arbitration under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce arising from a dispute over an international airport terminal concession.
sovereign domestic litigation
- Hardy Exploration & Production (India), Inc. v. Government of India, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (pending). Defending India in a U.S. federal court action by a U.S. oil company seeking to confirm a foreign arbitral award pursuant to the New York Convention. India’s defense raises rarely litigated questions regarding the Convention’s public policy exception to recognition and enforcement.
- Mady Marieluise Schubarth v. Federal Republic of Germany (pending). Representing Mady Schubarth in a Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act case seeking compensation for the expropriation of her family estate in the former East Germany connected to events in the aftermath of WWII. Currently on appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, this case presents significant questions regarding immunity for sovereigns and their agents and instrumentalities under the Expropriation Exception of the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
- Successfully defended a Latin American sovereign in appeal of federal civil suit brought by an American citizen on grounds of violation of international human rights treaties, the Alien Tort Claims Act (ATCA), and the Torture Victims Protection Act (TVPA). Suit dismissal was upheld and client was awarded costs.
- Successfully represented a Middle Eastern sovereign in 26 simultaneous terrorism civil actions (including US federal proceedings involving billions of dollars in commercial and tort claims, the Act of State Doctrine, the Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act, the ATCA, and the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (FSIA)), resulting in the execution of an historic claims-settlement executive agreement with the United States.
- Successfully represented US subsidiaries of a sovereign national oil company in an appeal of the dismissal of an antitrust class-action lawsuit before the Fifth Circuit.
government advising & corporate social responsibility
- Advised multinational corporations on risk-management issues associated with their work in post-conflict, transitional regions.
- Counseled international actors on the applicability of international CSR-related principles and standards, including the Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, the Voluntary Principles of Security and Human Rights, the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, the SEC’s Conflict Minerals Rule, the UK Modern Slavery Act, the US Alien Tort Statute, and the Canadian Anti-Terrorism Act.
- Advised an international humanitarian organization on legal, law-enforcement, and diplomatic mechanisms available to combat human trafficking in particular Caribbean and South American countries.
- Advised government on emergency-response measures to take in the wake of natural disasters.
- Advised governments on policy and legal reforms to promote investment and economic development in developing and rural markets.
- Advised foreign government on best practices in cybersecurity and secure communications.
- Advised “No Exceptions,” an initiative of the Truman National Security Project seeking gender parity in selection for combat service in the US military.
- Advised the Supreme Court of the Republic of Zambia on its new Research Advocate (i.e., law clerk) program, personally training its first class of Advocates in judicial opinion writing, legal research and writing, judicial ethics, and professionalism in chambers.
- Represented asylum seekers in proceedings before US Immigration and Customs Enforcement authorities.
Honors & Awards
- "D.C. Rising Stars," National Law Journal - Washington, D.C. (2017)
- "Rising Stars" - International Arbitration, Law360 (2017)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (a joint center of Columbia Law School and The Earth Institute at Columbia University): Fellow (Nov. 2016–present)
- Kigali Center for International Arbitration: Member of the Roster of International Arbitrators (2016-present)
- American Society of International Law (ASIL): Co-chair, New Professionals Interest Group (2010–2013); Member (2007–present)
- American Bar Association: International Law Section Member; Africa Committee Member; Middle East Committee Member (2007–present)
- Arbitral Women: Member (2015–present)
- Dartmouth Lawyers Association: Co-Chair of Women in the Law Committee and DC Regional Coordinator (2015-present); President (2013–2015); Vice President (2009–2013)
- International Council on Commercial Arbitration (ICCA): Member
- New Hampshire Bar Association: International Law Section Member
- Truman National Security Project: Political Partner (2015–present)
- January 4, 2018
- October 20, 2017
- October 10, 2017
- August 28, 2017
- July 16, 2017
- Alexandra "Xander" Meise Featured in Global Arbitration Review, the Washington Business Journal, and The Washington PostApril 13, 2017
- New Hampshire Bar News , July 19, 2017
- Southern Africa Development Community (SADC)ABA Section of International Law’s The Year In Review 2016, June 2017
- James Madison Center for the Constitution Podcast, June 2017
- South Africa Passes Long-Anticipated Investment Law ReformsIBA Mining Law Committee News. vol 8 no. 2, September 2016
- Domestic and Foreign Direct Liability (Co-Author)Bloomberg Practice Guide to Corporate Social Responsibility, Winter 2016
- SDNY Applies Kiobel II and Holds Corporations May Be Liable under the Alien Tort StatuteCorporate Social Responsibility and the Law Blog, April 30, 2014
- ATS of the North? Canadian Court Allows Suit to Continue for Human Rights Abuses Committed AbroadCorporate Social Responsibility and the Law Blog, August 7, 2013
- The ATS’s Second Act The Supreme Court Looks to Address the Unanswered Questions of KiobelCorporate Social Responsibility and the Law Blog, April 23, 2013
- Supreme Court Holds that Plaintiffs Must Overcome Presumption Against Extraterritoriality in Alien Tort Statute CasesCorporate Social Responsibility and the Law Blog, April 17, 2013
- The Future of the Alien Tort Statute. Take II: The US Supreme Court Hears New Arguments on Extraterritorial LiabilityCorporate Social Responsibility and the Law Blog, October 3, 2012
- US Supreme Court Holds that the TVPA Does Not Apply to Organizations. but Corporate Officers Are Still Fair GameCorporate Social Responsibility and the Law Blog, April 23, 2012
- Would the End of the Alien Tort Statute Mean an End to Corporate Liability for Human Rights Abuses?Corporate Social Responsibility and the Law Blog, April 10, 2012
- Decision on the Preliminary Objection in ECCC Case 001: Implications for Retroactivity Analysis in Criminal MattersAccountability, Winter 2011
- Consent and Due Process in Multiparty Investor-State Arbitrations (Co-Author)International Investment Law in the 21st Century, , 2009
- July 27, 2017
Events & Speaking Engagements
- The Arbitration Practitioner as an Administrator of an Arbitration Centre (Moderator), SOAS Conference: The Role of Arbitration Practitioners in Supporting the Development of Arbitration in Africa (Kigali, Rwanda)May 2, 2018
- April 18, 2018
- Practical Strategies in the Arbitration of International Disputes Involving State-Owned Entities, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) Annual ConferenceApril 3, 2018
- Trial, Tribunals, and Tribulations (Featured Commentator), National Security & the Law Podcast (of the ABA National Security Law Committee)January 4, 2018
- August 10, 2017
- August 8, 2017
- August 1, 2017
- Conformity and Creativity In Rules Of International Arbitration: Should Arbitral Institutions Be Choosing A Path Of Convergence?, Women’s Bar Association (of Washington, DC)July 13, 2017
- July 10, 2017
- ConLaw 101: How Lawyers Can Help You Save America, 2017 Truman National Security Project Annual ConferenceJune 25, 2017
- April 5, 2017
- Umbrella Clauses, Exhaustion of Local Remedies, Fork-in-the-Road Provisions, Investment Promotion and Protection in the EAC: Trends and Prospects Conference, University of Geneva and Africa Legal Awareness, Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaSeptember 30, 2016
- Expropriation: Elements and Defenses, Executive Training on Investment Arbitration for Government Officials, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment Columbia University, New York, NYAugust 1, 2016
- Report from Arbitration Institutions on Actions from Addis Ababa Conference on the Role of Arbitral Institutions in Developing Arbitration in Africa, SOAS Arbitration in Africa Conference at Lagos Court of Arbitration, Lagos, NigeriaJune 22, 2016
- Developments in South Africa’s Investment Dispute Regime, Conference co-sponsored by the American Society of International Law, Washington, DCMarch 11, 2016
- The Role of Arbitration Institutions in the Development of Arbitration in Africa, African Union Arbitration Institutions Conference, Addis Ababa, EthiopiaJuly 23, 2015
- Expropriation: Elements, defenses and new developments, Executive Training on Investment Arbitration for Government Officials, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment, Columbia University, New York. NYJuly 14, 2015
- Emerging Issues in the Extractive Sector: International and Domestic Liability, ABA Africa Regional Forum: Legal Policy & Frameworks Surrounding the Energy & Extractive Industries in Africa with a Focus on East Africa, Nairobi, KenyaJune 5, 2015
- The Future of International Law: A Roadmap, American Society of International Law, 2015 Annual Meeting, Washington, DCApril 10, 2015
- Resolving Disputes in the Energy and Natural Resource Sectors, Atlanta International Arbitration Society Conference, Atlanta, GANovember 4, 2014
- Emerging Trends in Human Rights Litigation and Security Risk Mitigation, International Bar Association Africa Regional Forum Conference, Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaSeptember 8, 2014
- Investment Treaties and Investment Law as Part of the International Framework for Development, Sustainable Development Law, University of Denver School of LawApril 13, 2014
- Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Potential Impacts of International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Trends on Natural Resource and Economic Strategies in Africa and Beyond, ABA International Section Spring Meeting, New York, NYApril 2, 2014
- Rule of Law Developments in Eastern and Southern Africa and Beyond, Alaska Bar Association, Anchorage, AlaskaMarch 5, 2014
- I Can See Russia from my Boardroom Pitfalls of International Liability in Investment Activities and Disputes Abroad, Dartmouth Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, Alyeska, AlaskaMarch 4, 2014
- The Alien Tort Claims Act post-Kiobel: The Black Knight’s Mere Flesh Wound, Alaska Bar Association, Anchorage, AKSeptember 11, 2013
- March 26, 2013
- Global Corporate Rights and Responsibilities: Reflections on Kiobel and Citizens United, International Law Program at the 2013 AALS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LAJanuary 6, 2013
- International Investment and Trade Navigating Agreement, Disagreement, and Development, Law & International Development Society, Harvard Law School Cambridge, MANovember 27, 2012
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. District Court of New Hampshire
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Jeffrey R. Howard of the US First Circuit Court of Appeals 2010 – 2011
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2007
Columbia University: School of International and Public Affairs, M.P.A., 2007
Middlebury Language Schools, Middlebury College Arabic School, 2003
Fulbright Fellowship, National Academy of Art (Academia e Arteve), University of Tiranë, 2002
Dartmouth College, B.A., 2001, with honors