Tennis is a game of strategy, skill, and dedication. With eleven years of competing under his belt, Tom was elected All-American during his time at Yale University and even had the honor of qualifying for and playing in the Wimbledon championships. Tom embraced the competitive aspect of the game with its constant strategic challenges.
The competitive nature Tom once utilized on the tennis court now follows him into the courtroom. Like in sports, being a trial lawyer means you may not win every point, quarter, or inning, but Tom never loses sight of the goal. He remains focused and intense, devising his next play at all times. His background provides him with the experience and tenacity needed to face challenges in his cases.
On the weekends, you can find Tom in the middle of a match against some of the same friends he began playing with at just fifteen years old. Tennis has provided him with more than memories and great friends, but has formed a foundation for an impressive skillset through which he serves his clients. Whether it’s on court or in court, winning is the name of Tom’s game.
Tom practices litigation involving eminent domain, inverse condemnation, land use and a broad variety of real estate matters.
He serves as a professional mediator in all areas of the real estate business.
- Eminent domain matter for second largest U.S. bank, involving taking of branch. In addition to value of land, buildings and fixtures, matter involves claim for significant loss of business goodwill.
- Major, complicated eminent domain settlement for largest provider of formal wear in U.S. in connection with freeway widening that severed its state-of-the-art conveyor system in its Southern California distribution center.
- Excellent settlement with Riverside Redevelopment Agency in which our client was paid the highest price that Agency had ever paid for downtown property.
- At trial against Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority, obtained a jury verdict very close in amount to that attributed by the real estate appraiser retained by our client.
- Successful settlement for owner of industrial property taken for expansion of freeway interchange. Major issue relating to cost of remediating soil and ground water contamination caused by tenant.
- Extensive ongoing negotiations with Los Angeles Unified School District relating to a large property adjacent to its downtown headquarters building. LAUSD wants property to build parking structure for employees.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for owner of industrial park in a complex matter involving City of Riverside’s grade separation project that changed traffic patterns and eliminated a large segment of parking available to tenants and customers.
Honors & Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- ADR Neutral, Mediation Panel of the Los Angeles Superior Court (2002-2013)
- Former Chairman, Condemnation and Land Valuation Litigation Committee of Los Angeles County Bar Association (1978-1979, 1988-1990, and 1997-2005)
- Member, Sub-committee of Condemnation and Land Valuation Litigation Committee, Los Angeles County Bar Association to Prepare Program for Superior Court Judges – “Case Management of Eminent Domain Cases” (2010)
- Vice-Chairman, Task Force on Evidence and Witnesses (Exhibits), Civil Trials Manual, a project of the Los Angeles Superior Court
- Member, Judicial Council of California, Civil and Small Claims Advisory Committee, Eminent Domain Rules Group (2000-2010).
- Member of Board of Directors, Inner City Law Center (1997-present)
- Former President of Board of Directors, Inner City Law Center (2004-2007)
- Member of Executive Committee, Inner City Law Center (2008-present)
- Former Counsel, Webster Commission (1992)
- Former President, Jewish Free Loan Association (1984-1987)
- Former Chairman, Los Angeles County Assessor’s Task Force on Implementation of Proposition 13 (Jarvis-Gann Initiative Constitutional Amendment)(1978)
- Former member, Los Angeles County Assessor’s Assessment Practices Advisory Committee (1978-1986)
Other Career Experience
- Partner, Fulbright & Jaworski LLP, Chair, Eminent Domain and Land Use Group
- Taken by Force2002
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Partial Takings in Eminent Domain, Real Property Section2010
- Partial Takings - A Case Study of Cooperative Resolution2010
- How to Succeed in Los Angeles Superior Court2008
- Current Issues in Eminent Domain - Bench and Bar Perspectives2007
- Current Issues in Eminent Domain, a Judicial/Bar Perspective2006
- Current Issues in Eminent Domain, A Bench/Bar Perspective2005
- Recent Developments Effecting Date of Value in Eminent Domain Cases2005
- Spotlight on Eminent Domain: New Jury Instructions and Civil Delay Reduction Rules for California2004
- Current Pretrial Issues2003
- Valuation Considerations Involving Ethnic Communities2003
- Investment Backed Expectations2002