- Represents management in all areas of labor and employment law, including discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation, failure to accommodate, wage and hour, and collective bargaining issues.
- Defends employers before state and federal courts and administrative agencies (e.g., DLSE, DFEH, EDD, and NLRB), as well as in alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
- Advises employers on complex personnel policies and decisions, such as discharge, disability and accommodation, leaves of absence, drug testing, and sexual harassment investigations.
- Successful representation of nationwide retailer in sexual harassment litigation.
- Representation of talent agency in harassment and wrongful termination action, resulting in jury verdict for client on all causes of action.
- Representation of various companies in wage and hour class or collective actions. The matters settled on favorable terms.
- Successful representation of a major cultural institution in a disability discrimination and wrongful termination suit brought by a plaintiff who had been an employee for 24 years. After a five and a half day jury trial, the jury returned in just over an hour with a unanimous verdict in favor of the client.
- Representation of a major motion picture studio in pregnancy discrimination action. The matter settled on favorable terms.
- Representation of studios and networks in age discrimination class action, which settled on favorable terms.
- Conducted wage and hour audits of a variety of businesses and job types and, where applicable, assisted in restructuring to meet business needs.
- Defense of employers against unfair labor practice charges.
- Representation of the major studios and networks in arbitration against the WGA which determined that a portion of a New Media deal was not retroactive.
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- President, City of Los Angeles Civil Service Commission
- Prior Trustee, Hollywood Schoolhouse
- Former Board member, Getty House Foundation
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Wisconsin Law Review 1387, 1995
- April 19, 2016
- August 26, 2014
- May 21, 2014
- November 11, 2010
- September 2007
Events & Speaking Engagements
- February 10, 2012
- March 2011
- February 10, 2011
- California, 1996
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California, 1996
- Eastern District of California, 1997
- Northern District of California, 1997
- Southern District of California, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeal, 1997
- Ninth Circuit
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 1996; Order of the Coif; cum laude
Articles Editor, Wisconsin Law Review
Stanford University, A.B., 1991