Ms. Benson's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation with emphasis on intellectual property, business torts and employment litigation. She has extensive experience in federal and state courts as well as in alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
- Representation of Sony Pictures Television, Lifetime and A&E Entertainment against plaintiff's attempt to enjoin broadcast of the remake of "Steel Magnolias."
- Representation of Fortune 100 company against Lanham Act and false advertising claims.
- Representation of major television network against satellite company in dispute over service that deletes commercials from prime time shows.
- Obtained summary judgment for client on claims for alleged violation of First Amendment Rights.
- Representation of internet fashion retailer in litigation involving claims of trademark infringement and false advertising.
- Representation of record companies in copyright infringement action against a CD manufacturing plant, resulting in a jury trial award of $136 million.
- Representation of a major arts and cultural institution in a disability discrimination and wrongful termination suit brought by a plaintiff who had been an employee for 24 years. After a five and a half day jury trial, the jury returned in just over an hour with a unanimous verdict in favor of the client.
- Representation of apparel company to protect its trademark against confusing mark used by competitor.
- Representation of subsidiary of large consumer products company in trial to confirm company’s trademark and enjoin the import and sale of “knock off” products manufactured overseas, resulting in issuance of nationwide injunction.
- Representation of shoe company in litigation involving claims of design patent infringement.
- Representation of American co-producer of motion pictures made and partially financed in Canada, in arbitration resulting in award to client of creative control over project and $4.8 million in damages.
- Representation of major generic pharmaceutical company against claims for violation of Lanham Act, false advertising and unfair competition.
- Representation of motion picture company in case involving anti-circumvention provisions of DMCA resulting in award of summary judgment. 321 Studios v. MGM Studios, Inc., et al., 307 F. Supp. 2d 1085 (N.D. Cal. 2004).
- Representation of record companies in content piracy litigation case against Aimster.
- Representation of record companies on claims of contributory and vicarious copyright infringement against one of the largest flea markets on the East Coast, resulting in award of summary judgment. Arista Records, Inc. v. Flea World, Inc., 78 U.S. P.Q. 2nd 1339 (D.N.J. 2006).
- Obtained summary judgment representing employers in numerous state court employment discrimination cases.
- Successful mediations of federal and state court employment actions for alleged discrimination and harassment.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation (2013-2015)
- "Top 5% of lawyers in Southern California," Southern California Super Lawyers (2004-2015)
- "California’s Top Women Litigators," Daily Journal (2003-2007)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Co-Chair, MSK Fashion Industry Practice
- Board Member, Hope Through Empowerment Award Honoree, St. Joseph Center
- Former member, Board of Directors of the Federal Bar Association
- Former member, Board of Governors of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Former member, Board of Directors of Western Center for Law and Poverty
- Former member, Board of Directors of Public Counsel
- Former Trustee, Los Angeles County Bar Foundation
- Former member, Los Angeles County Bar Judicial Appointments Committee
- January 20, 2016
- August 2015
- November 21, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2015 Recognizes 21 Attorneys from Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp and Names 2 Attorneys “Lawyer of the Year”August 2014
- January 2014
- August 15, 2013
- January 2013
- August 24, 2012
- January 23, 2012
- January 25, 2011
- January 26, 2010
- January 30, 2009
- November 21, 2008
- January 30, 2008
- May 10, 2007
- June 1, 2006
- September 12, 2005
- June 2002
Events & Speaking Engagements
- October 5, 2012
- October 14, 2011
- Lectured extensively on a variety of civil litigation matters, including CEB Federal Practice Institute programs on "Pretrial Case Management and Discovery Practice," ABTL program on "Recent Developments in the Law on Sexual Harassment," and Women Litiga
- California, 1974
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California, 1974
- Northern District of California, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeal
- Ninth Circuit, 1977
University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D., 1974; Order of the Coif
Stanford University, B.A., 1971; Phi Beta Kappa; with Great Distinction