Melvin focuses on management-side labor and employment cases pertaining to harassment, disability discrimination, whistleblower retaliation and wage and hour class actions. He counsels clients at various stages of litigation from proposal to resolution. Melvin advises employers from companies of all sizes on matters involving employee handbooks, Federal WARN Act, employee contracts and entity formation. He regularly presents during arbitration proceedings and prepares for second-chair plaintiff and witness depositions. Melvin also drafts pleadings that focus on removals, motions to compel arbitration, motions for nonsuit, writs to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and several other dispositive motions.
- Successfully defended a not-for-profit childcare organization, an international oil refinery, an international eye wear manufacturer, a drug store chain, and a global beverage wholesaler on arbitration claims involving wrongful termination.
- Successfully represented an international college in numerous single-plaintiff arbitration matters surrounding the legal issues of sexual harassment, wage and hour and discrimination.
- Successfully represented cases involving whistleblower retaliation for major amusement park.
- Represented international cosmetic and health food manufacturer in whistleblower action brought on by a previous Vice President of Finance Department.
- Drafted motions for summary judgment, motions to strike class action allegations and to compel arbitrations.
- Conducted interviews for over 100 employees and prepared declarations in English and Spanish for matters related to wage and hour class actions.
- Generated position statements in regards to Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Department of Fair Employment Housing Administrative Charges of Discrimination
- Drafted contracts on domestic and international inquiries, artist waiver agreements and agreements involving non-for-profit fundraisers and public radio.
- Extensive experience in business to business mortgage sales and accounting.
- Lecturer at California State University, Long Beach in the Human Resources certificate program on legal matters for employers and industry professionals.
Other Career Experience
- Lecturer, California State University, Long Beach (2015-present)
- Attorney, Littler Mendelson, (2013-2016)
- Attorney, Payne & Fears LLP, (2010-2013)
- Legal Intern, Sony Music Entertainment, (2009)
- Summer Associate, Payne & Fears LLP, (2008-2009)
- Account Executive, Accredited Home Lenders (2006-2007)
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Mitchell Silberberg & KnuppJuly 14, 2016
- California, 2011
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit
Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 2010
University of Southern California, B.A., Print Journalism, 2005