Labor and employment law on behalf of management concentrating primarily in the areas of employment law, equal opportunity issues, and union/management relations. Advise clients on ERISA and COBRA related issues.
- Obtained injunction in federal court against union picketing based on violation of Lanham Act and trade libel.
- Successfully defended management in several unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board, and successfully prosecuted an unfair labor practice charge against a union for unlawful dues collection practices.
- Successful motion for summary judgment in an age discrimination and retaliation case brought by a 57-year old plaintiff who had been employed by our client for more than 17 years; costs and attorney's fees were awarded in favor of our client in the amount of $71,000.
- Assisted in defending a major civil rights action brought against a municipal police department by police officers and their union.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© in Litigation -Labor and Employment (2011-2015)
- "Top 5% of lawyers in Southern California," Southern California Super Lawyers (2005-2006, 2008-2015)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section
- Committee on the Development of Law under the National Labor Relations Act, American Bar Association
Other Career Experience
- Law Clerk to Judge Robert S. Vance, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (1981-1982)
- January 20, 2016
- August 2015
- November 21, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2015 Recognizes 21 Attorneys from Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp and Names 2 Attorneys “Lawyer of the Year”August 2014
- January 2014
- August 15, 2013
- January 2013
- August 24, 2012
- January 23, 2012
- August 31, 2011
- January 25, 2011
- August 19, 2010
- January 26, 2010
- January 30, 2009
- January 30, 2008
- Contributing editor, The Developing Labor LawJune 17, 2015
- Regular columnist with the Los Angeles Daily Journal, writing on labor law subjects (1989-1991).
- California, 1981
- U.S. District Court, 1981
- Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeal, 1982
- Fifth Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
- Eleventh Circuit
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1980; Order of the Coif; with Honors
Associate Editor, Univ. of Chicago Law Review
University of California, Berkeley, A.B., 1977; Phi Beta Kappa; with Great Distinction