Growing up in suburban Chicago, Kevin dreamed of exploring new places and embarking on new adventures. While always mindful of his Chi-Town roots, Kevin has traveled 6 continents, landing him in a category of less than 5% of Americans. Coincidentally, Kevin’s passport resembles a colorfully exciting board game. Land on Lithuania, hop two spots to Kyrgyzstan. Roll again, five hops back to Russia. Feeling adventurous? Skip to Brazil and then on to Tanzania.
Kevin has loved the adventure of traveling and immersing himself in different cultures. Since the beginning of his career, Kevin has channeled that same enthusiasm into his work. When Kevin finds himself on a new work assignment or in unfamiliar territory he revels in the excitement of learning, adapting, and working to achieve his goal. His interests in public policy, law, and exciting new challenges fuel Kevin’s passion for opening markets for creative and innovative goods and services.
Kevin utilizes those same skills as he navigates perplexing matters for his clients. His innate curiosity and competitive spirit are critical factors in securing positive outcomes for his clients on a variety of international trade and intellectual property issues. It does not come as a surprise that Kevin was awarded the Bronze Medal for Superior Federal Service for his role serving as international trade counsel to Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch. Whether traveling abroad for leisure, strengthening intellectual property enforcement in foreign countries, or solving new challenges for his clients right here at home, Kevin gets the job done.
Over sixteen years counseling on intellectual property and international trade matters. Significant experience with legislative and regulatory processes and policy development related to international trade and the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights in foreign markets. Registered patent attorney.
- Serves as counsel to International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA), a coalition of five copyright-based industry trade associations (comprised of over 3,200 companies), on international copyright protection and enforcement matters.
- Served as primary counsel to Senate Finance Committee Ranking Member and Chairman Orrin Hatch on intellectual property and digital trade issues (2013-2015), including regarding: oversight of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) and Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) negotiations; and Senate passage of The Bipartisan Congressional Trade Priorities and Accountability Act of 2015 (TPA) and the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015.
- Counseled the Office of U.S. Trade Representative on intellectual property rights issues, including regarding: Colombia's implementation of the intellectual property provisions of the U.S.-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement; the legal merits of potential trade enforcement actions at the World Trade Organization; the 2013 National Trade Estimate and 2013 Special 301 Report; and the policy review of several Section 337 determinations.
- Developed and led capacity building activities focused on strengthening intellectual property rights enforcement in foreign markets, including in Russia, Ukraine, Greece, Serbia, Lithuania, Kenya, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
- Advised the U.S. IP Enforcement Coordinator on legislative and regulatory developments regarding border enforcement issues identified in the Joint Strategic Plan on IP Enforcement.
- Led the U.S. delegation to the 2011 Advisory Committee on Enforcement at the World Intellectual Property Organization.
- Counseled the Chairman of the International Trade Commission on intellectual property and international trade matters, including Section 337 determinations.
- Advised U.S. Customs officials on customs and intellectual property laws, including drafting rulings determining violations of trademark and copyright laws, and implementing Section 337 exclusion orders.
- As a patent attorney prior to government service (1999-2006), litigated patent infringement actions in United States district courts, drafted and prosecuted patents before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and rendered opinions on patent validity and infringement.
Honors & Awards
- Bronze Medal for Outstanding Federal Service (2015)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Intellectual Property Law section of The State Bar of California
Other Career Experience
- Attorney Advisor, Office of Policy and International Affairs, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (2008-2015)
- International Trade Counsel (Detail), U.S. Senate Finance Committee (2013-2015)
- Assistant General Counsel (Detail), Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (2012-2013)
- Policy Advisor (Detail), Office of the U.S. Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator (2012)
- Counsel to Chairman Daniel Pearson, U.S. International Trade Commission (2007-2008)
- Attorney Advisor, Office of Trade, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (2006-2007)
- Associate, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP (2001-2005)
- Associate, Pennie & Edmonds, LLP (1999-2001)
- Responding to Online Piracy: Mapping the Legal and Policy Boundaries2011
- March 15, 2016
Events & Speaking Engagements
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Global Intellectual Property CenterSeptember 2014
- All You Ever Wanted to Know about IP in ChinaJuly 2014
- USPTO Role in Combating Counterfeit MedicinesSeptember 2012
- The Benefits of an Interagency Approach to IP Protection: Examples of Successful Communication, Coordination, and CollaborationAugust 2012
- Improving Cost Effectiveness of International IP Crime TrainingSeptember 2011
- Recent Trends in the Field of Enforcement of IPRSeptember 2011
- Importance of Effective Enforcement of IPR and International ObligationsJune 2011
- The Role of the US Patent and Trademark Office in the Fight Against Counterfeiting and PiracyJune 2011
- Why Governments Fight Intellectual Property Theft”and “Cooperating with Industry in Investigating and Prosecuting Intellectual Property TheftMay 2011
- Impact of Piracy, the Importance of Effective Enforcement of IPR, and International Obligations for IPR EnforcementApril 2011
- USPTO Role in IP EnforcementMay 2010
- Overview of International Obligations for IPR EnforcementMarch 2010
- Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights: International and National Obligations; Practical ChallengesNovember 2009
- The Role of Intellectual Property in Promoting Innovation and Economic GrowthNovember 2009
- Civil Litigation of Intellectual Property Cases in the U.S.: An OverviewJuly 2009
- Civil and Administrative Enforcement of Intellectual Property RightsApril 2009
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court
- Northern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1999
Johns Hopkins University, B.S. in Electrical Engineering with University and Departmental Honors; Tau Beta Pi, 1996