Defending clients in class actions, representative 17200 actions, and other complex litigation, including consumer fraud, product liability, wage and hour, unfair competition, unfair business practices, intellectual property, and other business torts; and representing clients in alternative dispute resolution.
- Frequently retained by companies, insurers, and other law firms as class action expert to defeat class certification and/or to develop and negotiate creative settlements.
- Counsel for large product manufacturer in nationwide class action seeking more than $2 billion in damages on behalf of more than 500,000 class members.
- Counsel for one of the world's leading international fashion houses in consumer class action.
- Counsel for all major motion picture studios and television networks in dozens of employment class actions.
- Counsel for wireless communications company in consumer class action.
- Counsel for pharmaceutical company in several state and nationwide consumer class actions.
- Counsel for national theme park in employment class action.
- Counsel for leading music publishers in multiple intellectual property class actions.
- Counsel in putative defendant class action against all California companies engaged in the production of theatrical films, television productions, commercials, and music videos.
- Counsel for major networks and production companies in two class actions by writers on fifteen television reality shows.
- Counsel for owners of large apartment buildings in class action alleging discrimination against minors.
- Counsel for major wireless communications provider in nationwide class action.
- Special class settlement counsel and co-trial counsel in an already certified class action involving nearly 200,000 class members.
- Counsel for automobile dealerships in multiple consumer class actions.
- Counsel for service provider in broadband industry in multiple employment class actions.
- Counsel for large product manufacturer in series of proposed nationwide and state-specific class actions alleging false advertising and consumer fraud in connection with the company's advertising and sale of an innovative weight loss program.
- Counsel for major film and television production company in several employment class actions.
- Counsel for security companies in multiple wage and hour class actions.
- Counsel for leading contractor in wage and hour class action.
- Counsel for automaker in antitrust and unfair business practices action.
- Counsel for national furnace manufacturer in a series of complex product liability actions.
- Counsel for international manufacturer of home video game systems in action based on alleged unfair competition and Lanham Act violations.
- Counsel for national furnance manufacturer in a series of complex product liability actions.
- Counsel for large product distributor in complex product liability action filed by more than 400 plaintiffs.
- Counsel for purchaser of minor league baseball team.
- Counsel for well-known former major league baseball player.
Honors & Awards
- "Top 5% of lawyers in Southern California," Southern California Super Lawyers (2004-2005, 2007, 2011, 2013-2016)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- MSK Governing Board
- Chair, MSK Class Action Defense Practice Group
- American Bar Association, Committee on Class Actions and Derivative Suits
- Defense Research Institute, Committee on Mass Torts and Class Actions
- Chairman, Board of Directors, BookEnds, Student-to-Student Solutions for Literacy
- Riordan Volunteer Leadership Development Program
- Board of Directors, Western Center for Law and Poverty
- January 20, 2016
- January 2014
- January 2013
- January 25, 2011
- Westlaw Journal, March 2011
- California, 1993
- U.S. District Court, 1994
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeal, 1993
- Ninth Circuit
- California Supreme Court, 1993
University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D., 1993
Willamette University, B.S., 1990