Counseling and litigation regarding intellectual property matters, including the procurement and administration of domestic and foreign trademarks and copyrights in numerous industries. Patents in the chemical, pharmaceutical, electrical, biotechnical, and mechanical fields, with emphasis on protection in the United Kingdom, Pacific Rim, Central and South America. Trade secrets, unfair competition, technology transfer and licensing, with special emphasis on trademark licenses.
- Manages Ocean Spray's trademark portfolio worldwide.
- Represents a large number of United Kingdom-based clients from the entertainment, sports, food, clothing, machinery, animation, furniture and other industries.
- IC Industries, Inc. v. I.C. Industries, Inc. 595 F.Supp.340 (M.D.Fla. 1983) - Served as plaintiff co-counsel in successful trademark litigation.
- Cooper Industries, Inc. v. Juno Lighting, Inc. 2 USPQ2d 1779 (N.D.Ill. 1987) - Served as defendant co-counsel in successful patent infringement action, where trial judge held that the claims of the patent were invalid as the claimed device did not and could not function as claimed, and thus the defendant did not infringe the patent in suit.
Honors & Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Inter-American Bar Association
- Institute of Directors (London)
- United States Delegation of the United Nations International Standards Committee for Hydrogen Energy
- Former member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- December 22, 2009
- May 8, 2002
- June 28, 2016
- June 2009
- Significant New Development In Trademark Law: The Madrid Protocol to Become Effective in the United StatesDecember 2002
Events & Speaking Engagements
- January 27, 2016
- October 6, 2011
- Frequent speaker on trademark and patent protection in the United States and United Kingdom
- California, 1992
- Illinois, 1980
- Numerous U.S. District Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1983
- Federal Circuit
- Seventh Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
- Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1980
Stanford University, B.S., 1977; Tau Beta Phi; with Distinction