Litigation with an emphasis on intellectual property including copyright, trademark, and trade secret matters, as well as antitrust.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of motion-picture production company and writer/director of one of the highest-grossing movies of all time on claims of breach of contract and fraud by plaintiffs alleging that defendants used their ideas without compensation.
- Obtained judgments in favor of leading video game publisher in anti-piracy and copyright litigation.
- Representing major gaming companies in trademark, copyright, and patent litigation.
- Representing online fashion retailer in trademark litigation.
- Representing music publishers in copyright case involving karaoke discs.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against major record company in case involving dispute over royalties on digital downloads.
- Defended record companies and artist in copyright action over song, resulting in grant of summary judgment in clients’ favor.
- Defended multinational technology corporation in action involving claims of trade secret misappropriation; successful Daubert motion brought resulting in exclusion of several hundred-million-dollar opinion of plaintiffs' damages expert.
- Defended multinational technology corporation in suit brought by competitor involving claims of monopolization through pricing and sales practices, and in Federal Trade Commission action involving allegations of anti-competitive acts and practices related to product design, industry benchmarking, and private standard-setting.
- Defended multinational retail corporation against labor class-action lawsuits, including appeal before U.S. Court of Appeals for Ninth Circuit implicating standards governing class certification.
- Represented Asian American Center for Advancing Justice as amicus curiae in appeal before Massachusetts's highest court challenging state statute excluding legal immigrant residents from Commonwealth Care, which resulted in favorable ruling.
Honors & Awards
- "Southern California Rising Stars," Southern California Super Lawyers (2013-2016)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Korean American Coalition
- Yale Alumni
Other Career Experience
- Associate, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- California, 2006
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California
- Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit
Yale Law School, J.D., 2005; Coker Fellow
Senior Editor, Yale Law Journal; Executive Editor, Yale Journal of Law & the Humanities
Yale University, B.A., 2001; summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa