With 60 years as an attorney, 50 years as a professor at Georgetown Law, and 46 years on the board at the International Law Institute of which he is chairman, Prof. Don Wallace is a preeminent authority in international law and foreign affairs. He has counseled government institutions, societal icons, major corporations, and everyone in between. In addition to MSK, Prof. Wallace currently teaches courses on Investor-State Dispute Resolution and Constitutional Aspects of Foreign Affairs at Georgetown Law.
- Co-counsel for the government of Laos.
- Counsel to the late Chris Duggan in the leading NAFTA arbitration cases of Loewen v the US and Methanex v the US.
- Counsel to Ecuador in a PCA investor-state treaty arbitration. Chevron claims Ecuador should pay a $9 billion judgment against Chevron issued by Ecuadorian courts in an environmental suit, plus Chevron’s legal fees reportedly in the range of $1-2 billion.
- Counsel to McKesson Corp. in an expropriation dispute with Iran. What began as an arbitration at the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in The Hague in 1982 transformed into U.S. litigation of epic proportions, lasting 26 years. Obtained final judgment for $30.6 million against Iran after two bench trials, seven DC Circuit appeals, and three unsuccessful cert. petitions by Iran in precedent-setting FSIA litigation.
- Crafted necessary documentation and a business structure to build a nonprofit organization in Switzerland for Robert Kahn, inventor of the internet.
- Drafted will for famous actress and 50's icon, Marilyn Monroe.
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Chairman, International Law Institute
- Member, Secretary of State's Advisory Committee on Private International Law
- US delegate to UNCITRAL
- Member, Board of Directors, Institute of Investment and Arbitration, Cairo
- Member, American Law Institute
- Member, Board of Governors, Republican National Lawyers Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Bulgarian American Society
- Member, Advisory Board, Central and Eastern European /Middle East North Africa (CEE/MENA), Rule of Law Initiative(ROLI), American Bar Association
- Emeritus Member, Board of Directors, International Development Law Institute(IDLI, now IDLO), Rome
- Member, IDR Group, London
- Member, advisory committee, ABA/UNDP International Legal Resource Center
- Member, Legal Advisory Council, AEI Legal Center for the Public Interest
- Correspondent, UNIDROIT, and vice president, Board of Governors, UNIDROIT Foundation, Rome
- President, Academic Council, European Center for Peace and Development, UN University for Peace, Belgrade
- Member, Board of Directors, The Constitution Project (Guidelines for Constitutional Amendments; War Powers Initiative; other)
- Member, Atlantic Council
- Chairman, International Council for Middle East Studies (ICMES)
- Member, Board of Directors and Advisory Council, Global Legal Information Network (GLIN) Foundation
Other Career Experience
Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center
Of Counsel, Winston & Strawn LLP
Of Counsel, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
Of Counsel, Arnold & Porter LLP
- December 2, 2016
- November 27, 2016
- November 21, 2016
- November 18, 2016
- November 18, 2016
- November 17, 2016
- The Hill, April 20, 2016
- The Hill, September 17, 2014