- Provides advice and counsel to employers in all areas of employment law, including hiring practices, equal opportunity issues, discipline, personnel policies, leaves of absence, disability accommodation, wage and hour law, investigations of harassment or other wrongdoing, terminations and layoffs.
- Represents employers in all stages of administrative claims before federal, California and other state agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement, and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Prepares written statements to the government agency, represents clients during agency investigations and during hearings.
- Represents employers in all aspects of employment law before state and federal courts in the areas of employment discrimination, wrongful termination, sexual harassment, family and medical leave claims, breach of contract and various torts.
- Regularly provides training to supervisors and employees on harassment prevention strategies.
- Negotiated and drafted employment contracts, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, arbitration agreements, separation agreements and settlement agreements.
- Conducted several investigations into alleged workplace misconduct, including discrimination, workplace violence, harassment and theft.
- Successfully thwarted numerous threatened lawsuits by effectively responding to demand letters by former employees.
- Obtained favorable outcomes for companies before the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement on claims for misclassification of employees, commissions, and waiting time penalties.
- Successfully defended pharmaceutical company against an age discrimination claim after a three-day administrative hearing.
- Developed expertise with respect to leaves of absence, background checks and social media issues.
- Successfully defended company against national investigation by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Member of defense team that won more than $400,000 in attorneys' fees from plaintiff who brought frivolous discrimination and harassment suit.
- Obtained summary judgment of discrimination claims in state and federal court.
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Secretary, The City Charter School Board of Directors
- Employee Records: What to Keep and WhyLos Angeles Business Journal, July 2001
- Employment Discrimination DepositionsJuris Pub., 2001
- Damage Control: Steps Employers Should Take after a Lawsuit Has Been FiledThe Daily Journal , November 2000
- June 27, 2016
- May 23, 2016
- March 22, 2016
- California Supreme Court Upholds Class Action Waivers in Employment Arbitration Agreements; Rules PAGA Waivers are UnenforceableJune 26, 2014
- November 2013
- February 13, 2013
- Updated: Issues Raised By Employees Needing Military Leave (Including Changes in California's Military Leave Laws)April 2003
- California Legislation Clarifies Employers’ Duties Under State’s Consumer Credit Laws Regarding Employment Reference Background ChecksNovember 2002
Events & Speaking Engagements
- January 11, 2017
- Mitchell Silberberg & KnuppJuly 14, 2016
- January 2014
- California, 1998
- U.S. District Court, 1998
- Central District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1998
Notes Editor, Virginia Environmental Law Journal
Indiana University, B.S., 1994; with Distinction; Golden Key National Honor Society, Dean's List