With the smell of citrus in the air, a light dust drifting inches above freshly-turned soil, and sun rays casting shadows on the ground, a ten acre farm in Riverside, California filled with orange trees serves as the backdrop for where you’d find Anthony (Tony) Adler toiling away on any given weekend.
The orange grove, of organic Washington navels, and horse farm unsuspectingly fell into the lap of Tony and his wife in 2009 through a close family friend. Tony’s version of how the transaction unfolded goes something along the lines of “being informed by his wife that she had agreed to purchase the farm” in her native town from the family of her childhood friend. Knowing better than to resist, this city boy transplanted himself to his new home and grew to love the farm and all that came with it, including commercially marketing their oranges through a Southern California co-op.
Going beyond most normal hobbies, the farm has become a labor of love for Tony and his wife. The creative expression that comes from their experimental crops is one of the things Tony embraces the most. So in addition to the orange trees, Tony and his wife experiment with dwarf citrus trees, squash, tomatoes, etc. But their most popular crop? That can be answered in the common Monday morning emails from Tony notifying his colleagues of the small inventory of ghost and scorpion peppers sitting in his office to be shared.
Mergers and acquisitions, public and private placements, corporate reorganizations, commercial lending/lenders, commercial lending/borrowers, product distribution, franchising, shareholder disputes, commercial law, and general representation of corporations and other business organizations.
- Represented Bank of America, N. A., City National Bank, The PrivateBank and Trust Company, and other domestic and foreign lenders primarily in connection with project and revolving credit facilities to the electronic security and life safety industry, and the entertainment industry, among others.
- Represented major producer and distributor of internet entertainment content in connection with numerous acquisitions of entertainment content and websites.
- Represented prominent investment advisory firm in connection with the acquisition of participations in commissioned revenue streams of ICM, one of the world's largest international talent and literary agencies.
- Represented equity funds in connection with film slate financing.
- Represented HSM Electronic Protection Services, Inc., one of the nation's largest electronic security alarm companies, in its acquisition by the Stanley Works.
- Represented purchaser in its acquisition of SecurityLink, one of the nation’s largest electronic security and life safety companies.
- Represented Protection One, Inc., another of the nation’s largest security alarm companies, in numerous acquisition transactions.
- Represented owner of Cypress Grove Chevre, Inc., a leading U.S. manufacturer of premium-quality goat’s and sheep’s milk cheese, in connection with the sale of that company.
- Represented HACO Limited, a Swiss food manufacturer and distributor, in connection with its purchase of GFF Inc., a manufacturer of “Girard’s” brand of salad dressings and other food products.
- Represented a principal owner of the Fruit Patch Companies, one of the nation’s largest stone fruit packing houses, in connection with the sale of those companies to American Capital.
- Represented REITs in connection with hotel acquisitions.
- Represented leading apparel manufacturers and retailers in various corporate transactions.
- Represented a majority shareholder in his purchase of a publicly traded nursing home chain.
- Represented a NYSE-listed real estate investment trust in nursing home transactions.
- Represented innumerable emerging growth businesses in connection with both public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, including securities offerings.
Honors & Awards
- Top 5% of lawyers in Southern California, Southern California Super Lawyers (2005, 2007-2010)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Other Career Experience
- Owner/manager of acclaimed Los Angeles restaurant, Ma Maison
- January 26, 2010
- January 30, 2009
- November 21, 2008
- January 30, 2008
- December 6, 2016
- December 6, 2016
- November 29, 2016
- November 8, 2016
- June 20, 2016
- October 3, 2008
- December 23, 2013
- October 2002
- Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial CodeDecember 2001
- California, 1979
- U.S. District Court, 1990
- Central District of California
University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D., 1979; Order of the Coif
Harvard Graduate Business School, M.B.A., 1974
Claremont McKenna College, B.A., 1972; magna cum laude