In addition to her proficiency with all facets of general commercial litigation, Ms. Lewis has extensive experience with intellectual property and entertainment law, including copyrights, trademarks, unfair competition, piracy, trade secrets and patents. Her areas of specialization include the procurement and administration of domestic and foreign trademarks and copyrights; the prosecution and defense of inter partes proceedings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office; and drafting and negotiating license and assignment agreements.
- Obtained entry of judgment and refusal of registration in connection with consolidated trademark oppositions alleging likelihood of confusion and dilution. Activision Publishing, Inc. v. Activision TV, Inc., Opposition No. 91195837 (T.T.A.B. 2015).
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal with prejudice of cancellation petition alleging trademark abandonment. Transport For London v. Dynasty Footwear, Ltd., Cancellation No. 92057466 (T.T.A.B. 2015).
- Awarded injunction and attorneys’ fees in an action for trademark infringement under the Lanham Act. American Leak Detection, Inc. v. Khan, Case No. 5:13-CV-02020-JGB (C.D. Cal 2014).
- Obtained dismissal of copyright infringement lawsuit based on plaintiff's lack of standing to bring suit. Nafal v. Carter, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 2235 (C.D. Cal. 2012), aff'd, 2013 U.S. App. LEXIS 25429 (9th Cir. 2013)
- Successfully opposed trademark registration on grounds of likelihood of confusion and dilution. UMG Recordings, Inc. v. Mattel, Inc., 100 U.S.P.Q. 2d 1868 (T.T.A.B. 2011).
- Litigated issue of whether use of musical composition was outside of scope of license. Fahmy v. Jay-Z, 788 F.Supp.2d 1072, 2011 WL 1661518 (C.D.Cal. 2011).
- Obtained summary judgment for group of defendants in copyright infringement lawsuit concerning musical composition. Nafal v. Carter, 540 F. Supp.2d 1128 (C.D. Cal. 2007), aff'd, 2010 WL 2852571 (9th Cir. 2010).
- Obtained summary judgment on likelihood of confusion under Lanham Act and litigated differing legal requirements for claims under the Lanham Act and the Federal Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act. Rexel, Inc. v. Rexel Int’l Trading Corp., 540 F. Supp.2d 1154 (C.D. Cal. 2008).
- Litigated the application of the Copyright Act to foreign copyrights. Lahiri v. Universal Music & Video Distribution, Inc., 513 F. Supp.2d 1172 (C.D. Cal. 2007).
- Litigated the availability of extraterritorial damages under the Copyright Act. Rondor Music Intern., Inc. v. TVT Records LLC, 2006 WL 5105272 (C.D. Cal. 2006).
- Obtained favorable decision on the famous mark exception to the territoriality limitations of trademark law. London Regional Transport v. Intershoe, Inc., 2006 WL 2032540 (T.T.A.B. 2006).
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© in Trademark Law (2016-2018)
Professional, Business and civic Affiliations
- Judicial Administration and Trademark Litigation Subcommittee, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- 2014-2015 Chairperson, Intellectual Property Section of the Federal Bar Association
- August 15, 2017
- August 22, 2016
- February 18, 2016
- August 2015
- Respecting Third Party Intellectual Property on the InternetThe Federal Lawyer, November 2011
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Practical Considerations in Negotiating Trademark Licenses, and Ramifications of Unlicensed UseMay 2013
- Trademark Application and Enforcement Strategies for the Mid-Size BusinessMay 2012
- October 6, 2011
- California, 2005
- Florida, 2002
- Illinois, 1999 (inactive)
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1999; cum laude
University of Delaware, M.A., 1996
Macalester College, B.A., 1993; cum laude