Aaron is a co-chair of MSK’s Entertainment & IP Litigation Group and a member of the Cybersecurity and Privacy Protection Group. He is certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals as a Certified Information Privacy Professional/U.S.
Outside of the courtroom, Aaron provides proactive and sophisticated legal advice in the constantly evolving world of data privacy and protection, as well as advertising law and intellectual property protection. In the courtroom, Aaron specializes in intellectual property disputes and business litigation, with a particular emphasis on disputes involving false advertising, trademark, misappropriation of publicity rights and the First Amendment, as well as those involving copyright infringement and idea submission claims. Throughout his career, Aaron has also represented companies in various other disputes involving labor and employment claims, profit participation and royalty issues, distribution, merchandising and licensing rights, and breach of contract.
Aaron represents a broad swath of companies and individuals ranging from those in the entertainment field – including film and television studios, production companies, music companies, producers, directors, and owners of television, film and music properties – to global advertising companies and national advertisers, to furniture companies, apparel companies, designers, universities and others. He has substantial trial, arbitration, and appellate experience.
- Currently assessing and drafting data privacy and protection policies (internal and external) for multiple companies.
- Currently seeking a declaration that television production company’s television show does not infringe defendant’s copyrighted work.
- Currently defending a television production company and television network against claims of copyright infringement and failure to pay royalties arising out of airing and distribution of two television shows.
- Currently defending artists and recording companies against claims of copyright infringement over various songs.
- Prosecuted claims of false advertising and obtained preliminary injunction arising out the use of allegedly false internet review websites and other allegedly improper online advertising practices.
- On behalf of national advertising company, successfully brought Anti-SLAPP motion and struck complaint alleging misappropriation, false advertising, and unfair competition arising out of alleged unauthorized use of former Olympic athletes’ name and likeness.
- On behalf of Fox, Lightstorm Entertainment, and James Cameron, obtained summary judgment in multiple copyright infringement and breach of contract suits brought by plaintiffs claiming that the motion picture Avatar was based on their ideas, screenplays or drawings.
- On behalf of UMG Recordings, Inc., awarded summary judgment with respect to dispute over royalties allegedly owed to artist by third-party.
- On behalf of author, publisher, and media outlets, obtained dismissal of defamation claims arising from the biography of a high-profile pop singer in trial court and on appeal.
- Represented multiple furniture companies in trademark infringement and misappropriation litigation filed by former and current celebrities, including the Marlon Brando Estate and Clint Eastwood.
- Represented major licensor of children’s entertainment properties in breach of contract dispute involving credit and production rights.
- Represented major licensor of children’s entertainment properties in dispute involving alleged breach of contract and fraud arising out of trademark licensing.
- Represented national clothing manufacturer against claims of copyright infringement and vicarious copyright infringement.
Other Career Experience
- Student Appellate Attorney, Georgetown University Law Center Appellate Litigation Clinic, Washington, DC (2000-2001)
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Wendell P. Gardner, J.R., Superior Court, Washington, DC (1999)
- Law360, March 28, 2016
- September 2015
- January 7, 2011
- February 9, 2016
- September 3, 2015
Events & Speaking Engagements
- 2017 ABA Section of Litigation Corporate Counsel CLE SeminarFebruary 17, 2017
- November 9, 2016
- November 3, 2015
- October 28, 2015
- September 4, 2015
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- First Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2001
Staff and Senior Editor, Georgetown Journal of International Law; Dean's List
College of William and Mary, B.A., 1998; High Honors